Air Force Housing   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Home > Misawa
Welcome to Misawa AB Housing

Misawa Family HousingThe Housing Management Office (HMO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you.

When you arrive at Misawa AB you must visit the HMO within 24 hours of arrival. This visit is necessary to obtain housing, verify your eligibility for Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA), and receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.

tabContact Information 
Housing Management Office
Phone  011-81-176-77-3200
 DSN (315) 226-3200
Fax  011-81-176-77-2399
 DSN (315) 226-2399
Address  35 CES/CEIHH 
 Unit 5022
 APO AP 96319-5022
Hours of Operation  M-Th  8:00 am - 4:00 pm
 F        8:00 am - 12:00 pm
 Closed on Federal Holidays
Find us on Facebook facebook icon

Unaccompanied Housing
Phone  011-81-176-64-4000
 DSN (315) 226-4000
Address  Building 671
 Misawa AB 
Hours of
 M, W, F  8:30am - 4:30pm
 T, Th      7:30am - 4:30pm
 (Japanese Time)

Current Local Time

tabDisclaimer for External Links 
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.
tabHousing Options at Misawa AB 
Government Housing Unaccompanied Housing Housing in the Local Community

Click here to see a complete list of housing units, or select from the slideshow below. 
tabGovernment Housing 
For many families, living in government housing provides easy access to a wealth of community services and amenities such as schools, youth programs, Commissary/Exchange, and food services. This is especially true in overseas locations where you will find yourself dependent on the support facilities and services on the installation much more than those in the U.S. Living within government housing provides a safe and secure place to reside and provides a mentoring and supportive environment for families.

Effective 1 Sep 2009, an "On-Base First" Family Housing (FH) policy was established for active duty accompanied members and mil to mil co-located in Misawa. If on-base family housing is available upon your arrival, members must accept an on-base family housing unit that meets your grade and family size IAW AFI 32-6001.

This includes:
- Members on an accompanied tour with Command Sponsored dependents authorized to reside with them
- Military-Married-to-Military couples assigned to same or adjacent base and reside jointly
- Designated Key and Essential DOD Civilian with a transportation agreement

Contact the Housing Management Office (HMO) if you have any questions about the housing eligibility criteria at this location.

Misawa Government Housing
We offer accompanied government housing in 2 different locations:
- Main Base
- North Area

Our inventory consists of more than 1,600 Townhome and/or Tower units. Unaccompanied members E1 - E4 with less than 3 Years of Service are only authorized 10% of full JFTR and must reside in the on-base Dormitories. Effective 8 Sep 2015, E4 with 3 Years or more Years of Service have the option to reside off-base are authorized full JFTR weight allowance. Please coordinate with your outbound TMO to ensure you are receiving the correct weight entitlement if you plan to reside off-base.  All other accompanied and unaccompanied Air Force personnel with a permanent change of station (PCS) to Misawa AB are authorized full JFTR weight allowance. Due to the smaller size of government quarters, accompanied personnel are encouraged NOT to ship their full JFTR weight allowance. We highly recommend that you utilize your non-temporary storage (NTS) entitlement at origin. In the event you ship your full JFTR weight allowance, Misawa AB does not have storage facilities to accommodate excess household items. Local rental storage units are also very limited. Housing and the Traffic Management Office (TMO) will not ship items back to the continental US (CONUS) for non-temporary storage (NTS).

On-base Family Housing amenities include stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer and dryer. The Furnishing Management Section (FMS) may also provide a 90 Day Loaner Kit consisting of an array of basic furniture items such as beds, sofa, table, chairs, etc. The Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC) has a Loan Locker that provides additional amenities to include pots and pans, plates, cups, small appliances, etc. Both the FMS and the AFRC household furnishings issued are only authorized until the arrival of your household goods.

Certain dog breeds are prohibited to be taken/shipped to Japan under PCS orders to III MEF or MCB Japan (i.e, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Canid-Wolf Hybrids). Per AF directives, certain aggressive dog breeds are prohibited in all military family housing (i.e, Pit Bulls, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweilers, Chow, Wolf Hybrids, etc). Exotic animals such as, but not limited to, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), ferrets, hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, potbellied pigs, monkeys, arachnids, or any farm animals are not permitted in government housing.

Not all housing is pet friendly; all efforts will be made to accommodate families with pets. The non-availability of pet friendly housing is not a justification to turn down a housing offer. Pets (cats and dogs) are authorized in single family units, townhouses, and multiplex homes. Before making arrangements to bring a pet to Misawa, you are strongly encouraged to contact the Housing Office at least 30 days prior to arrival to ensure pet friendly housing is available. Having a pet does not guarantee you placement in a particular housing unit. Placement is based on availability and the member's entitlement. Only two pets are allowed in family housing unless an approved waiver is acquired by the sponsor. Contact the Housing Management Office for details on this process.

Applying for Government Housing
Please submit an advance application for assignment (DD Form 1746) through the HMO at your losing installation with a complete copy of your PCS orders. The effective date of the application is the date you depart your prior installation (including members with TDY in route) or the date ordered to active duty. Please be sure your application identifies and includes supporting documentation for an impending promotion or gain of dependents so that you can be placed on the appropriate waiting list.

Applications can also be submitted upon arrival during your first visit to the HMO. HMO staff will be able to assist in the completion of the application and will review PCS orders and housing options with you. All incoming personnel must report to the HMO within 24 hours of arriving.

Community Amenities
See Referral and Relocation Assistance for a list of the community amenities available at Misawa.

Personal Property Insurance
You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. If you are unable to purchase property insurance state side there are several locations located in Misawa to assist you.

School Information
- Sollars Elementary School 
- Cummings Elementary School 
- Edgren High School 

 Inside AF Housing

ima cornerSearch

tabMisawa Resources
tabFrequently Asked Questions
Where can I find an application for housing?

What housing allowances am I eligible for?

Where will my children go to school at my new location?

How do I begin out-processing from housing?

What should I do to start planning my move to an overseas location?

Do I have to live in the dorms if I'm a permanent party unaccompanied Airman?

Will I get my own bedroom and bathroom if I live in Unaccompanied Housing?

I'm moving into Unaccompanied Housing and have a lot of household goods. What should I ship and what should I put into storage?

Can my significant other or guests stay with me in my dorm room?

What is housing privatization and how does it affect me?

How do I pay rent in privatized housing?

What happens when government housing becomes privatized while I am living there?

Does rent in privatized housing include utilities?

Who is eligible to live in privatized housing?

See All FAQs

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act