Air Force Housing   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Home > Okinawa > Local Community
Welcome to Okinawa Housing

Kadena AB Family HousingThe Housing Management Office (HMO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you.

When you arrive on Okinawa, you must visit the HMO. The Air Force HMO manages Military Family Housing (MFH) for all service members assigned to Okinawa. This visit is necessary to obtain housing, verify your eligibility for Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA), and receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing. All unaccompanied service members are provided dorm or billeting assignment by their respective branches of service.

tabContact Information 
Housing Management Office  
Phone  011-81-734-0582
 DSN (315) 634-0582
 DSN (315) 634-0583
Fax  DSN (315) 632-0311
 Email the Housing Office
Address  718 CES/CEH
 Unit 5261
 APO AP 96368-5261
Hours of Operation  M,T,Th,F - 8:00am - 3:30pm
   W - 8:00am - 12:00pm  
 (Japanese Standard Time)
Housing Maintenance Flight Service Desk
Phone  634-HOME(4663)
Link  Housing Maintenance Customer Service
  Unaccompanied Housing
Phone  011-81-734-4016
 DSN (315) 634-4016
Fax  DSN (315) 632-0311
Address  UNIT 5261 
 APO AP 96368
Hours of
 M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm 
(Japanese Standard Time)  

Current Local Time

tabDisclaimer for External Links 
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.
tabHousing Options at Okinawa 
Government Housing Unaccompanied Housing Housing in the Local Community

The Housing Management Office (HMO) provides all DoD personnel with a personalized service to assist in locating suitable housing in your new host country. Moving to a new country can often be confusing and stressful; however, it can also be exciting. Living off base provides members and families the chance to experience a new culture and make friends with their host country neighbors. The HMO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services
Contact the HMO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation as well as local laws governing off-base housing. The HMO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market.

The HMO monitors off-base rental listings to ensure that they are safe and adequate.

All DoD personnel, whether on an accompanied or unaccompanied tour, are required by individual service regulation to report to the Housing Referral Office before making a commitment to rent, lease or purchase off-base housing. This is to protect the DoD personnel, and ensure they have accurate information for securing a home.

After you move into your home, the HMO is available for on-going assistance with translation services should you need to communicate with your landlord.

Community Housing Units
The HMO provides up-to-date listings of available economy units, translation services, and landlord/tenant mediation. Newcomers who plan to live off base can expect to pay a number of upfront costs prior to moving in to their house or apartment, and should plan accordingly. Standard practice by housing agencies on Okinawa is to charge an agency fee usually equal to 50 percent of one month's rent, a security deposit equal to one month's rent, and first/last month's rent, all due at lease signing.

Japanese living is considerably smaller than what we are accustomed to in the US. Average, 3 bedroom units are typically about 1,100 square feet. Many units seldom have central heating and cooling systems, as the year round temperature on Okinawa is 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Portable units can be used, but expect for utility bills to be quite high. Members should also expect to pay water, sewage and trash collection fees at off-base housing.

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance
You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

Realtor Services
The majority of the rental units are handled by housing agents. These agents are individuals or offices representing the owner of the property for rent or sale. HRO is contacted daily by the agents to obtain the maximum number of rental units for referral to DoD personnel.

School Information 
For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live. For more information about schools, visit the the DoDDS Pacific Okinawa District website.

 Inside AF Housing

ima cornerSearch

tabOkinawa Resources
tabFrequently Asked Questions
Where can I find an application for housing?

What housing allowances am I eligible for?

Where will my children go to school at my new location?

How do I begin out-processing from housing?

What should I do to start planning my move to an overseas location?

Do I have to live in the dorms if I'm a permanent party unaccompanied Airman?

Will I get my own bedroom and bathroom if I live in Unaccompanied Housing?

I'm moving into Unaccompanied Housing and have a lot of household goods. What should I ship and what should I put into storage?

Can my significant other or guests stay with me in my dorm room?

What is housing privatization and how does it affect me?

How do I pay rent in privatized housing?

What happens when government housing becomes privatized while I am living there?

Does rent in privatized housing include utilities?

Who is eligible to live in privatized housing?

See All FAQs

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act