Air Force Housing   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Home > RAF Alconbury > Referral and Relocation


Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive at RAF Alconbury. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Housing Management Office (HMO) staff.

Your search for an off base rental can begin before you arrive at RAF Alconbury by contacting the HMO. We have a locally developed database of all the available houses we have through the housing office. We would also recommend that you log on where you will find local agents advertising houses available.

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

It is imperative that you make your Lodging reservations as soon as possible. Lodging does have one pet room. If you have a pet and this room is not available, please check with your sponsor about options for pet sitting or kennels in the local area. Lodging reservations can be made by calling the Lodging Office, 011-44-1480-82-6000 or DSN 314-268-6000.

Drivers License
A 3rd Air Force driver's license needs to be obtained within 30 days of arriving in country. It is a two part process to obtain your license: 1) A computer based exam must be taken; 2) Attendance is required at a local road condition briefing which is part of the bi-weekly newcomers briefing.

Bank Accounts
Establishing a "British Sterling Account" will be essential to living and doing business in the U.K. and it is highly suggested that you do this immediately upon arrival to minimize the wait for checks to clear your stateside bank/credit union; as well as helping to minimize the stress which comes along with the setting up rent, paying deposits, possibly purchasing a vehicle, establishing phone, utilities, etc.

Molesworth Community Bank: Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 3:30pm

Alconbury Community Bank: Tuesday - Friday, 9:00am - 4:00pm and Saturday 9:00am - 1:00pm (Bank is closed on Tuesdays, if a U.S. Holiday falls on a Monday)

Keesler Federal Credit Union (located on RAF Alconbury): Tuesday 9:30am - 4:30pm, Wednesday/Thursday 10:30am - 4:30pm, Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm and Saturday 9:30am - 1:00pm.

Quarterly Bill Paying
Unless you set up your bills to be paid monthly, you will be billed on a quarterly basis for utilities and phone use. People on the quarterly bill system must remember to set aside money from each paycheck to meet these expenses. Direct debit monthly budget payments are recommended as this is not only beneficial in managing your monthly utility bills but the power companies will also give a discount.

Power Requirements
The electrical current throughout the British economy is 220 volts and 50 cycles as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Furnishings Management Office (FMO) and 220 volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores.

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, view the local base newspaper; ask the Family and Airmen Readiness Center and the "for sale board" adjacent to entrance of the credit union and also at the base Thrift shop.

More information on products for each location can be found on the AAFES website.

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area. Visit

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the HMO for more information about preparing for your move to this location. 


Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the HMO.

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates.

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc.

To confirm your OHA and MIHA it is advised that to check the JFTR for the Alconbury/Molesworth area. Alternatively you can call the HMO, DSN 314-268-3518 for clarification.

For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)
When you arrive at RAF Alconbury, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging.

Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise whether you will reside in an on-base Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF), a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility.

If permanent housing is not secured within 30 days, military members are required to report to the HMO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the HMO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and preferred school districts do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing.

For more information about TLA and TLFs at RAF Alconbury, please contact:
TLA: Housing assistance section, DSN 314-268-3518
TLF: Front Desk, DSN 314-268-6000

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee and how many dependents are living with the employee.

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please visit the State Department website.

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance.

The HMO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office at DSN 314-268-3842/3640

 Inside AF Housing

ima cornerSearch

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act