Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive in the KMC. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff.

Kaiserslautern is a city of approximately 100,000 inhabitants and can be compared to cities like San Bernadino CA or Davenport IA, which is the "sister city" of Kaiserslautern. The neighboring countryside is farmland, rolling hills and small villages. The climate is similar to the Pacific Northwest and is cool and damp.

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

Accompanied members may choose to live in government-controlled quarters or they may live in the community. However, despite the options, housing on base is limited to a small percentage of the population due to the Department of Defense standard that drives housing numbers. 
More than 85 percent of the military population lives off-base, so most newcomers should plan for this same scenario.

Unaccompanied Air Force E-4s with less than three years of service and below must report to the Dorm Reception Center, Bldg. 2108 (ensure your sponsor is helping coordinate with dorm management). Staff sergeant selects and E-4s with over three years of service will reside off base.

Unaccompanied Army E-6 and below must report to Army unaccompanied housing located on Kleber Kaserne for processing. For further information please contact the Army Housing Manager at DSN 483-8202 or COM 0631-411-8202.

Have your sponsor make reservations at Air Force Inns and Lodging for you and your family. They can reserve you a room or family unit for up to 30 days while you are searching for housing.

Drivers License
It is recommended that you possess a valid state side drivers license prior to PCSing to the KMC. If you plan to drive outside of Germany you may want to consider obtaining an International Drivers license through the American Automobile Association (AAA).

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in the KMC is 220 volts and 50 cycles as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Furnishings Management Office (FMO) and 220 volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores.

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, view the local base newspaper or ask the Airmen and Family Readiness Center. More information on products for each location can be found on the 
AAFES website.

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area. The AFRC web page is located at  Select the Airman & Family Services tab.

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the MHO for more information about preparing for your move to this location.



Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the MHO.

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the 
Joint Federal Travel Regulations. These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates.

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc. For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the 
Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at the KMC, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging.

Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise whether you will reside in an on-base Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF), a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility.

If permanent housing is not secured within 10 days, military members are required to report to the MHO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and preferred school districts do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing.

For more information about TLA and TLFs at the KMC, please visit to view the Air Force Inns page.

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee and how many dependents are living with the employee.

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please visit the 
State Department website.

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance.

The MHO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office.

Air Force Finance can be contacted by email at:

Army Finance can be contacted by phone at DSN 483-6062 or Commercial: 011-49-631-411-6062