Developing a sense of community starts before you arrive at RAF Alconbury. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain referral and relocation assistance, we encourage you to reach out to the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff for personalized services. 

The first stop in finding a home at RAF Alconbury is the Military Housing Office (MHO). In addition to helping you find a home, the MHO will inbrief you and provide advice to help your housing search and decide what is the best option for you and your family.
Community housing is varied, and generally, affordable. Rental housing ranges from small apartments to large multi-story homes, from village living to living in the cities of Cambridge and Peterborough. Consider all options and choose the one that is best suited for you and your family. 




Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA for Military)

The maximum rent cap is determined based on rank and dependent status. The Housing Office will share the latest rates with you during Newcomer Orientation. The amount you receive is either your actual rent or rent cap (whichever is less). You are also eligible for a Utility allowance.

  • Your OHA will start on the date your lease agreement starts. We advise you do not include utilities within your rental amount as this will cause a change in your allowances, always discuss with the counsellors prior to agreeing to include any utilities without your rent.
  • Rent
    • OHA is paid at your maximum rental allowance or the maximum rent of the property (whichever is lower).
    • If the rental payment is over your entitled OHA, that cost is covered by you.
    • Understand that landlords have the right to lower or raise the cost of rent at the end of each term (one year at a time). Keep this in mind as you search for a home within your OHA cap.
  • Utilities
    • Utility allowance will be provided for payments on electricity, heating and water.
    • Unless exempt, all properties must have a valid energy performance certificate(EPC) available to you. The rating is from A to E, with anything lower than an E not permitted by law to be used as a rental property. The EPC offers a rough guide to how energy efficient a property is.
    • You will also be provided with a Gas Safety Certificate (C-12) and Domestic Electrical Safety Certificate.
  • Council Tax
    • You are exempt from paying council tax but will need to complete and submit the council tax exemption form via the Housing Office. Failure to complete this will result in fines and court appearances and any associated fees.
  • Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
    • MIHA is a one-time payment to assist with additional costs you may receive while you move into your home off-base.
    • Advanced Overseas Housing Allowance (AOHA)
    • AOHA is an interest-free loan from the Finance Office to pay initial expenses associated with the first two months' rent and deposit.
      • Interest-free loan.
      • Repayment over 12 months.
      • Forms are available at your installation’s Housing Office.
      • Must have signed approval from Commander.
      • Paid-up to three days prior to the tenancy start date.

Living Quarters Allowance (for Civilians)

Overseas Living Quarters Allowance rates are set by the State Department.  Rates are provided as an annual total so you must divide the rate by 12 to reach your monthly maximum.  The LQA rate can be used to pay for rent and utilities and is determined by pay grade and number of authorized family members. Click Here to view the State Department Office of Allowances website and select United Kingdom to find the current allowance rates.  RAF Alconbury and RAF Molesworth are classified under the “Other” rate for the UK.  Click Here to view the Department of State Standardized Regulations for LQA.