Welcome to Altus AFB Housing

Altus Family HousingThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. When you arrive at Altus Air Force Base, you must visit the MHO at Building 358 to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.


HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

Contact Information


 Military Housing Office

Phone (580) 481-7235
  DSN 866-7235
Fax DSN 866-6817
Address 97 CES/CEIH, 401 L Ave
 Altus AFB, OK 73523 
Hours of Operation   M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm (CST)
Find us on Facebook facebook icon


   Privatized Housing

Phone  (580) 379-4002
Fax  (580) 379-9888
 Email the Management Office
Address  700 Legacy Lane
 Altus, OK 73521 
Hours of
 M-F - 8:00am - 5:00pm
Website: altusafbhomes.com

   Unaccompanied Housing

Phone  (580) 481-6818
 DSN 866-6818
 (580) 481-6202
 DSN 866-6202 
Fax  (580) 481-6817
 DSN 866-6817
Address  97 CES/CEIHD
 Altus AFB, Ok 73523 
Hours of
 M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm


external links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.

Housing Options

  • Privatized Housing

    Privatized Housing
    At Altus Air Force Base, military family housing is privatized. Balfour Beatty Communities owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Balfour Beatty Communities. For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Altus Air Force Base, visit the Balfour Beatty Communities website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

    Applying for Privatized Housing
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Altus Air Force Base. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

    Paying Rent for Privatized Housing
    Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

    Gas and Electric Utilities
    At this location, homes in the community are not metered and your rent will include these utility costs, up to your full BAH amount. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office.

    Personal Property Insurance
    The Property Manager will provide personal property and liability insurance for every home upon application of the resident. Residents should augment the insurance provided by the Property Manager to ensure that adequate coverage is provided for all personal property.

    School Information
    There is an elementary school named L. Mendel Rivers for Pre-K through 4th grade on Altus Air Force Base. For more information visit the Altus Public Schools website.

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At Altus Air Force Base we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living.

    Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.


    The permanent party UH campus consists of two dormitories conveniently located near the Dining Facility, Chapel, Bowling Lanes, Movie Theater, Athletic Fields and the All Ranks Club. The Base Exchange, Shoppette and Commissary are also within walking distance. The dormitories were built in the 1980s and are well maintained. All rooms are single occupancy (no roommates) with a bathroom between every two rooms, except for rooms designated for Honor Guard members which have a bathroom in each room.

    Each dormitory has one central, updated and fully furnished kitchen, laundry room and dayroom. There is a 60" HD TV offering a wide selection of channels in each dayroom and another TV designated for gaming. Billiards and table tennis are also available for the more traditional "gamers." Barbeque grills and picnic tables are located on the patios near each dayroom for outdoor cooking and socializing.

    Base Specific Policy

    During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies including any restrictions such as prohibiting weapons and pets in the dormitory.

    UH Management Office Staff
    The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someonfont-size: 15pxe from your unit when you arrive. Be sure to have them pick up your room key from the UH Management Office in advance, so it is available regardless of your time of arrival. You will find an appointment for UH in-processing with the welcome packet placed in your room.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The goals of the council are to establish standards for all residents, propose solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. With few exceptions, an E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service will be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Members are then authorized a housing allowance at the unaccompanied rate. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 and 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. The ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room.

    Space Available Rooms
    When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis.




  • Community Housing

    Housing in the Local Community  

    The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.  

    Housing Services 

    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live. Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.  

    Community Housing Units  

    There are several apartment complexes conveniently located near the base; and there is a good selection of single-family homes for rent or sale in the local area. For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.  

    Personal Property Insurance  

    You should consider obtaining personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Before purchasing your insurance, you may want to consult the Base Legal Office for more information about coverage.  

    School Information  

    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.