Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive at Aviano AB. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff. 

Aviano Air Base is located in the Fruili Venezia Guilia Region of northern Italy! Aviano is a vital link in the NATO defense chain and the premier air base south of the Alps. In fact, Aviano is nestled at the foot of the Pre-Alps or the Dolomites, and is located approximately 50 miles north of Venice, Italy and 9 miles from Pordenone, the largest nearby town. Italy, with its rich history, beautiful landscapes and abundant culture is one of the best assignments in the world.

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

Call Lodging as soon as you have your travel arrangements finalized. Contact them at DSN 314-632-4040. They are available 24/7.

Driver's Licenses

 U.S. Driver's License - A valid U.S. driver's license is required to obtain an Armed Forces in Italy driver's license. It is recommended that all Airmen and family members who intend to drive in Italy obtain a valid U.S. driver's license before arriving in Italy. If you intend to drive a motorcycle in Italy, you need to have a valid U.S. motorcycle driver's license. You must be 18 years old to obtain any type of AFI driver's license.


AFI Driver's License - During your first week at Aviano you will attend "Right Start" and be given the opportunity to obtain an AFI driver's license. You are encouraged to take the test on-line before arriving in order to expedite the process in Right Start.


International Driver's License - An international driver's license may be required to drive in some European countries. If planning to drive outside Italy, it is recommended that drivers obtain an international driver's license prior to arriving in Italy. (These can be obtained at AAA locations in the U.S., but may also be obtained in Italy.)

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in Italy is 220 volts and 50 cycles as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Furnishings Management Section (FMS) and 220 volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores. 

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, ask the Family and Airmen Readiness Center and visit website

More information on products for each location can be found on the 
AAFES website. 

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area. Call DSN 314-632-5407 or visit the website. 

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the MHO for more information about preparing for your move to this location.


Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the MHO. 

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. View the 
Defense Travel Management Office website to determine your OHA rates. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates. 

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc. 

For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the 
Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at Aviano AB, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging. 

Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise whether you will reside in an on-base Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF), a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility. Also, please let your sponsor know if you will be traveling with pets. 

If permanent housing is not secured within 15 days, military members are required to report to the MHO every 15 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 15-day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and preferred school districts do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing. TLA is limited to 60 days.

For more information about TLA and TLFs at Aviano AB, please contact us at DSN 314-632-2272. 

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee and how many dependents are living with the employee. 

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please visit the 
State Department website. 

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance. 

The MHO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office at DSN 314-632-7409 or 2444.