Welcome to Barksdale AFB Housing

Barksdale Single Family HomeThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. When you arrive at Barksdale AFB, you must visit the MHO to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing. We are located at The Welcome Center with the Property Management Office (PMO).


HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

Contact Information

   Military Housing Office

Phone (318) 456-4791
DSN 781-4791
Address 334 Davis Ave. W.
Barksdale AFB, LA 71110
Hours of Operation M-F  0800-1600 

   Privatized Housing

Hunt Military Communities
Phone (318) 395-6689

Fax No Fax number
Address 201 Langley Drive
Barksdale AFB, LA 71110
Hours of
M-F  0730-1730
Find us on Facebook facebook icon

   Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (318) 456-2779
DSN 781-2779
Fax No Fax number
Address 206 Curtis Road
Barksdale AFB, LA 71110
Hours of
M-F 0800-1600
Find us on Facebook facebook icon


external links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.

Housing Options

  • Privatized Housing

    At Barksdale AFB, military family housing is privatized. Hunt Military Communities owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Hunt Military Communities.

    For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Barksdale, visit the Barksdale Family Housing website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

    Applying for Privatized Housing
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Barksdale. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

    Community Amenities
    Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services. Listed are just some of the many features you will find at Barksdale Family Housing:
    - 26 Playgrounds / Tot Lots with Picnic Pavilions
    - Large Sparkling Pool
    - Lighted Tennis Courts, Basketball Courts and Sand Volleyball Courts
    - A Community Center with Wi-Fi, Media Rooms, fully equipped Kitchen, Fitness Center and Children's Play Area

    As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office at (318) 395-6689 to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

    Paying Rent for Privatized Housing
    Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

    Gas and Electric Utilities

    At this location homes are metered and your rent will include these utilities. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office.

    During the Initial Development Period (IDP), Barksdale Family Housing will bear the responsibility for all of the utility cost to include water, waste water, gas and electricity. Following the IDP, the tenants will be responsible for paying for their gas and electricity consumption. Tenant utility allowance will be based on 110% of average estimated electric and gas costs. The utility allowance allows members to pay for the cost of electric and gas without experiencing any costs beyond their housing allowances. The tenant is responsible for managing their energy consumption within the established utility allowance.

    Personal Property Insurance 
    Hunt Military Communities LLC does not include Personal Property Insurance. We strongly urge you to obtain additional legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions. You should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

    School Information
    Good quality secondary education is provided off base for the children of the military community in Bossier City. Schools require the child's birth certificate, current immunization record and last school attended in order to register. Children living on Main Base attend Waller Elementary, Rusheon Middle, and Bossier High.  Children living on the East Side of Base attend T.L. Rodes Elementary, Platt Elementary, Princeton Elementary, Haughton Middle, and Haughton High.  

    Main Base
    Waller Elementary
    1130 Patricia Drive
    Bossier City, LA 71112
    Phone: (318) 549-6850

    Rusheon Middle
    2401 Old Minden Road
    Bossier City, LA 71112
    Phone: (318) 549-6610

    Bossier High
    777 Bearkat Drive
    Bossier City, LA 71111
    Phone: (318) 549-6680

    East Side Base

    T.L. Rodes Elementary (Pre-K-1st Grade)
    4670 US-80
    Haughton, LA 71037
    Phone: (318) 549-5940

    Platt Elementary (2nd – 3rd Grade)
    4680 US-80
    Haughton, LA 71037
    Phone: (318) 549-5870

    Princeton Elementary (4th – 5th Grade)
    1895 Winfield Rd.
    Princeton, LA 71067
    Phone: (318) 549-5750

    Haughton Middle
    250 Champion Shores
    Haughton, LA 71037
    Phone: (318) 549-5560

    Haughton High
    210 E. McKinley Ave.
    Haughton, LA 71037
    Phone: (318) 549-5450

    Additionally, there are more than 15 private schools and academies to choose from in the Bossier and Shreveport communities offering education for students from preschool through 12th grade. For more information, please visit www.bossierschools.org

  • Unaccompanied Housing


    At Barksdale we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

    Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

    The permanent party UH campus at Barksdale consists of two Dorms 4 Airmen, where four Airmen with private rooms and bathrooms share a kitchen, living space and washer/dryer; four 1+1 (one plus one) dormitories, where two Airmen with private rooms share a kitchen and a bathroom; and four dormitories where two Airmen with private rooms share a bathroom, with two common area kitchens available in the dayrooms. Each room has a private sink.

    Amenities include TV rooms, reading rooms, dayrooms with dartboards and billiard, foosball, and ping pong tables. A common area laundry room is provided in each dormitory with the exception of the Dorms 4 Airmen. Cable, phone and Internet are not provided, however they are available through Suddenlink.

    Restrictions at Barksdale include no smoking in any dormitory room or common area; no pets with the exception of fish in a 10-gallon tank, no overnight guests, no weapons, paintball guns, knives with blades over 3.5", candles, or incense. A complete list of prohibited items and actions will be provided during inprocessing.

    Base Specific Policy
    During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

    UH Management Office Staff
    The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    As soon as you get your orders assigning you to Barksdale AFB, send a copy to your sponsor. Your sponsor needs to bring your orders to the UH Management Office to reserve a room for you, no earlier than 3 days before your arrival. Your sponsor will be given a key to your room and a bag of linens (comforter, blanket, sheets, pillow, pillowcase and mattress pad), which they will leave in your room.

    Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

    If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

    If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear.

    See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships.

    Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.


    When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis.

    Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

    A hardship package must be submitted for anyone who is not active duty Air Force in the rank of E-4 or below with less than 3 years time in service who desires to reside in the dorms. Reservists, Guardsmen, members of other branches of the military, and anyone who is an E-4 or higher with more than 3 years time in service must write a memorandum explaining why they desire to reside in the dormitories. This memorandum must be submitted to and approved by the member's chain of command. After approval, the member should bring the memorandum to the UH Management Office, at which point it will be sent through the UH Management chain of command to the 2 MSG/CC for approval.

  • Community Housing

    Housing in the Local Community
    The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

    Housing Services
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

    Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

    Community Housing Units
    Main base - Historical Housing
    East side of BAFB - Heritage Heights and Liberty Heights

    For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

    Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

    School Information
    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

    High School - Bossier High
    Middle School - Rusheon Middle
    Elementary - Kerr and Waller Elementary