Welcome to Eglin AFB Housing

Eglin Family HousingThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. When you arrive at Eglin AFB, you must visit the MHO to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.


HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

Contact Information

   Military Housing Office

Phone (850) 882-4533, Ext #3
Fax (850) 882-2118
Email 96ceg.cemh@us.af.mil
Address 2950 Azaela Dr. Bldg 38499
Eglin AFB, FL 32542
Hours of Operation M-F - 7:30am - 5:00pm
Find us on Facebook

   Privatized Housing: Mayroad

Phone (850) 613-5050
Emergency Work Order Phone 
(850) 613-5051
Email Eglin.Leasing@themayroad.com
Address 2950 Azalea Dr. Bldg 38499
Eglin AFB, FL 32542

Hours of Operation M-F – 0730-1700 (CST)

   Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (850) 882-5153
Fax (850) 882-2118
Email 96ceg.cemhd.dormmanagement@us.af.mil
Address 210 E. Daytona, Bldg 852
Eglin AFB,FL 32542
Hours of
M-F - 8:00am - 4:00pm
Find us on Facebook


external links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.

Housing options

  • Privatized Housing

    Privatized Housing
    At Eglin AFB, military family housing is privatized. Mayroad owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Mayroad.

    For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Eglin AFB, visit the Mayroad website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

    K&E personnel are required to reside in PH unless a waiver has been issued by Installation Commander.

    Applying for Privatized Housing
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Eglin AFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing. You will need to email your hard copy orders to 96ceg.cemh@us.af.mil to start the referral process.  Visit the Mayroad Military Living website and view documents, floor plans, and community activities offered in privatized housing.

    Community Amenities
    Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

    Community features such as the following are just some of the amenities you will find at Mayroad.

    - Playgrounds for all housing areas
    - Recreational Vehicle Lot
    - Additional Amenities Coming Soon

    As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

    Paying Rent for Privatized Housing
    Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

    Gas and Electric Utilities
    At this location, homes in the community are not yet metered and your rent will include these utility costs, up to your full BAH amount. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

    Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the Property Management Office for more information about coverage.

    School Information
    For families, we understand that when considering your housing options, where your children attend school plays a large factor in that choice. For local school information please visit the Okaloosa County School District website.

    Main Base Housing Residents
    - Students who are Pre-K developmentally delayed students, Kindergarten (must be five years old by September 1st) and 1st through 4th grade, attend Eglin Elementary School, 200 Gaffney Road, Eglin AFB, FL 32542; Phone (850) 833-4320. Eglin accepts waivers for students of military, civil service or government contract parents.

    - Students who are 5th through 8th grade attend Addie R. Lewis Middle School, 281 Mississippi Avenue, Valpraiso, FL 32580; Phone (850) 833-4130

    - Students who are 9th through 12th grade attend Niceville High School, 800 East John C. Sims Parkway, Niceville, FL 32578; Phone (850) 833-4114

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At Eglin AFB we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

    Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

    The permanent party UH campus at Eglin AFB consists of 526 one-plus-one rooms (room-bath-room with kitchen or kitchenette) and 144 Dorms-4-Airmen rooms (four rooms with shared kitchen).

    Amenities include fitness rooms, stove/cook top, refrigerator, microwave, vacuum cleaner, laundry rooms, covered gazebos, enclosed bike lockers, gas/charcoal grills and RV storage.

    Restrictions at Eglin AFB include no smoking except in designated areas, no pets except fish, no storage of flammables, no extension cords, no burning of candles, no weapons and no fireworks. Any additional restrictions are outlined in the unaccompanied housing guidance you will receive upon assignment to your room.

    Base Specific Policy
    During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

    UH Management Office Staff
    The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

    If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

    If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager. If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary. Prior to termination, residents are required to attend a mandatory "Moves 4 Warriors" briefing. This will provide helpful information when transitioning from dorm life to living off base.

    Space Available Rooms
    When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about space availability.

  • Local Housing

    Housing in the Local Community
    The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

    Housing Services
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

    Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

    The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

    Community Housing Units
    Eglin AFB is located in Okaloosa County between the cities of Valparaiso and Niceville to the east and Shalimar to the west. Other surrounding cities are Fort Walton Beach which is approx 6 miles south of Eglin and Crestview which is approx 20 miles north of Eglin. There are rentals for homes, condos, and apartments in most of the communities surrounding Eglin.

    One and two-bedroom apartments rent for $1300-$1900 (average). Three and four-bedroom single homes, duplexes, and townhomes rent for $1800-$2700 (average). Most of the rentals in the area require a 7 to 12 month rental agreement/lease.

    It is common for landlords to restrict the number of pets, type, weight and breed. There is typically a pet deposit or a non-refundable pet fee. The range for pet deposits locally can be anywhere from $50 to $1500.
    Before leasing, always consider distance to work, traffic patterns/congestion and gas prices. Also, be prepared for high energy costs during the summer months.

    For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

    Personal Property Insurance
    The MHO highly recommends you obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and you should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Research all your options so you have the best coverage for your possessions. Costs will vary depending on how much coverage you choose, risk factors and dog breed if you own one. Depending on your coverage, renters insurance may not only cover your goods, but also could reimburse you for "Loss of Use" of your apartment or home. This reimbursement could include incurred cost of gas, hotels and food just to name a few.

    School Information
    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

    Public Schools
    If you would like to find information on the schools in the surrounding areas of Eglin, the following websites will take you to information on all the public schools in the area.
    - Okaloosa County
    - Santa Rosa County
    - Walton County
    - Florida Virtual School

    Home Schooling
    If you are interested in home schooling in FL, there are some items of extreme importance. Please check out the following websites for more information:
    - Homeschooling in Florida
    - Okaloosa County

    Helpful Resources
    - Florida School Immunizations
    - Florida Department of Education
    - American Disabilities Act (ADA)
    - Military Student
    - Raising Special Kids
    - Student Online Achievement Resource (SOAR)
    - Military Teens on the Move
    - Military Child Education Coalition
    - Military Impacted Schools Association (MISA)

    Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunities for Military Children
    Removes barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families. Click Here for more information.

    Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
    A United States federal law that governs how states and public agencies provide early intervention, special education, and related services to children with disabilities. It addresses the educational needs of children with disabilities from ages birth to 26 in cases that involve 13 specific categories of disability. Click Here for more information.

    Section 504
    A civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities. Section 504 ensures that the child with a disability has equal access to an education. The child may receive accommodations and modifications.