Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive at Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Housing Referral Office (HRO) and Airman & Family Readiness Center (AFRC) staff. 

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

Military Installations and Plan My Move -- For managing and planning your move, use these two DoD sponsored web-based relocation tools with information on over 250 installations worldwide. You can estimate expenses, find the forms necessary for housing and household goods, keep a calendar of events and take other necessary actions to ensure a successful move. Contact the AFRC at DSN 458-6015 and talk to the Global Mobility Specialist for detailed info or go to

The bad news is there are no temporary lodging facilities on base for accompanied military members or single members with pets. The good news is that guest lodging on the economy is usually very nice and covered by Temporary Lodging Allowances. Most guest houses also allow pets and are fully furnished.

Off-Base Lodging Rates
Rates for off-base guesthouses/hotel rooms average approximately $200 per night and vary according to the guesthouse/hotel and size of family.Please visit the link provided for available guesthouse/hotels in the local area,

You need to let your sponsor know whether or not you are accompanied and if you have pets. Reservations will then be made by your sponsor prior to arrival for the maximum allowable time - 30 days. Extensions may be allowed on a case-by-case basis. Mail or fax a copy of orders to your sponsor for temporary housing arrangements. Prices vary based on the number of beds needed, location, and pet fees.

Transportation to your TLF from the Brussels or Dusseldorf Airport is no longer available. Please contact your sponsor to arrange appropriate transportation or until you have access to a POV and have a USAEUR driver's license. A taxi service and buses are available to get you to the base if necessary.

Driver's License
You cannot legally operate any USAREUR (US Army Europe) registered vehicle without having a USAREUR Driver's License. Before you can obtain a USAREUR license, you must attend an orientation class and pass a two-part written examination. Testing is conducted Monday through Friday from 8:30am - 12:00pm. Also, check with your local Education Office if USAREUR driver's license testing is available. You can obtain a USAREUR Pamphlet (Driver's Handbook) from the POV office upon arrival. For some military members at select duty stations it may be possible to take the exam prior to your arrival to Germany. Study material and additional information is available through USAFE Combat Intro Drivers License Testing for Germany.

The military member is not authorized to drive any vehicle prior to receiving the USAREUR Driver's License. If you have no internet access, we recommend you check your local base library or Family Center to see if they have a copy of the handbook in color. There are more rules and signs to learn than in the US Driver's license. The cost is $10 and payable in check or money order only.

International Driver's License
An International Driver's License (obtainable from AAA in the US-valid for one year) is recommended when traveling outside Germany. An International Driver's License can be obtained in Europe and is valid in any country except the country where purchased. Cost here in Germany is about 15 Euros and valid for three years. You will need to take 1 European-sized passport photo when you go to get the license.

USAREUR REGULATION (UR 190-1, 22 Feb 00) prescribes policy and procedures for licensing privately owned vehicles (POV), drivers, and registering POVs in the Federal Republic of Germany under the Supplemental Agreement (SA) to the NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA).

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in Germany is 220 volts and 50 cycles as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Central Furnishings Management Office (CFMO) and 220 volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores. 

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, view the local base newspaper and ask the Airmen and Family Readiness Center. More information on products for each location can be found on the AAFES website.

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area. They are located in building 78, tel. 02451-63-3791 or DSN 458-6015 or visit them their Facebook page.

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the HRO for more information about preparing for your move to this location. 

Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the HRO. 

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates. 

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc. 

For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging. Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise whether you will reside in a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility. On-base Temporary Lodging Facilities (TLF) are not available at Geilenkirchen.

If permanent housing is not secured within 10 days, military members are required to report to the HRO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the HRO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Please use the TLA validation sheet you received at in-processing. Personal preference issues such as pet restrictions, furniture limitations, preferred school districts, etc. do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing. 

For more information about TLA at Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base, please contact the HRO at base ext. 2224 or the Finance Office at base ext. 2220. 

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee and how many dependents are living with the employee. 

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please visit the State Department website.

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance. 

The Finance Office will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office at comm. 02451-63-2220.

The information contained in this site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as an endorsement on any guest house by the Department of Defense