Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive at Ghedi Air Base. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff. 

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

Housing in Italy varies in size and style from what you are used to and units do not come equipped with what Americans expect to be standard amenities. It can be quite a shock when you look at your first unit. We understand that the search for housing can be frustrating and we will try to assist you in any way that our manpower allows. Getting settled in can be quite expensive so set some money aside and be prepared for the cost of incidentals such as curtains, kitchen sinks, transformers, adaptors and 220 appliances.
Also, landlords are within their rights to require payment of a security deposit of up to three (3) month's rent. The Housing Flight always tries to get this lowered to one or two months for members. Deposits are required to cover the cost of any damages above fair wear and tear when you move out. Utility companies normally charge a non-refundable hook up fee and you might have to face other expenses such as the registration/cancellation of the contract fee that are due by the Italian Law.

When you first arrive at Ghedi Air Base, you will be living in temporary quarters until you occupy permanent housing. To help offset the cost for military members living in temporary accommodations, you will be reimbursed by finance for your expenses by receiving Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA). Make sure you get in touch with your sponsor and let him know the exact date of your arrival so that he can book the hotel in advance especially during the summer season when the area is packed with tourists and it can be difficult to find availabilities.

Drivers License
Please get with Police Services in order to get a driver license. Call DSN 632-3515 for more information.

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in Italy is 220 volts and 50 cycles as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Furnishings Management Section (FMS) and 220 volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores. 

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, view the local base board. More information on products for each location can be found on the AAFES website.

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the MHO for more information about preparing for your move to this location. 


Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the MHO. 

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates. 

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc. 

OHA: Is an amount paid to you to pay for rent. You only receive what you are paying for rent up to your maximum rental ceiling. Please contact the MHO for the latest rental ceiling for your grade. 

Utility Allowance: On top of OHA, you will receive a monthly utility allowance. You will be paid based on the utilities that you are responsible for in the contract up to the maximum allowance. The MHO will advise you of the current allowance. You will receive the same amount each month to help pay for your utilities and please keep in mind that your winter bills will be a lot larger than your summer bills so you should budget your utility allowance accordingly.
Move In Housing Allowance (MIHA) Reimbursements authorized at Ghedi: Under the MIHA program, at Ghedi, we are authorized only two types of reimbursements; the (1) Lump Sum MIHA, and (2) Painting Fee MIHA.

Lump Sum MIHA: Military members, who buy or rent an overseas dwelling, are entitled to this allowance. MIHA is authorized to help defray the high costs of moving in to European-style homes because European landlords usually don't provide such things as kitchen or bathroom cabinets, closets and light fixtures, etc. They consider them furnishings. This allowance is designed to pay for light fixtures, transformers, curtain rods, sinks, kitchen cabinets, telephone installation and other items required to make your rental unit more habitable. Receipts are not required and any property purchased with this allowance becomes your property. MIHA is only paid for the first move upon arrival to a new duty station and cannot be paid for any subsequent moves.

Redecoration (Painting) MIHA: Painting fees for a unit is another allowance you may be entitled to. This allowance does not apply to homeowners. Check with the Military Housing Office for approved amounts to be refunded. Joint spouse military members and shares receive only one redecoration MIHA. You will file a claim at the housing office and the money will be paid into your pay check. You must then pay this money to the landlord. 

For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at Ghedi Air Base, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging. Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can book a local hotel room for you.

If permanent housing is not secured within 30 days, military members are required to report to the MHO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and preferred school districts do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing. 

For more information about TLA at Ghedi AB please contact the base Housing Management Assistant at DSN 632-3472.

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance. 

The MHO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office at DSN 632-3537.