Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive at Izmir, Turkey. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff. 

The mission of the MHO is to provide unaccompanied military personnel and DoD civilians access to safe, quality, well-maintained, affordable economy housing.

When you arrive at Izmir, Turkey, you must visit the MHO office, located at the Hilton Hotel Center, 6th floor at Alsancak within the first two duty days of your arrival. This visit is necessary to obtain info on the layout of the city, how apartments are listed and the schedule of activities provided to assist you in getting settled. Among the activities provided are tours designed to orientate you to the city and view apartments as well as provide a full briefing on the systems and nuances of apartment living in Izmir. You will also be briefed on your eligibility for Temporary Lodging and will receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing. It is advised to wait until you arrive to secure housing in order to tour available units. 

The proactive HRO staff diligently works to locate and list housing assets. Prior to listing any unit, the property is inspected for suitability in accordance with Air Force standards. 

The Housing On-line Military Enterprise System ( will help you to find adequate listings. In order to register you just need a military e-mail account. Also all rental units are available for viewing 24/7/365 on a touch-screen/Audio-Visual system in the Housing Office hallway.

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you are prepared for the transition. Izmir is an unaccompanied dependent restricted tour and you should ensure that a sponsor is assigned to help you during your transition. 

Personal Property Insurance 
Since you will be living on the economy and shipping personal House Hold Goods (HHG), you may want to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage. 

Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. There is a Reservation Assistance Office (RAO) that will work with your sponsor to ensure that you are registered in one of three local hotels.

Drivers License
If you are shipping a Privately Owned Vehicle (POV), the Pass & Registration Office will assist you in obtaining a local driving license. You must have a valid stateside license. For more information, contact the Pass & Registration Office at DSN 314-675-6699 or e-mail

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in Izmir, Turkey is 220 volts and 50 cycles as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Furnishings Management Office (FMO) and 220 volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores. 

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, ask the Family and Airmen Readiness Center. More information on products for each location can be found on theAAFES website 

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area.  

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the MHO for more information about preparing for your move to this location. 


Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the MHO. 

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR).

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates. 

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc. 

MIHA /Security is an integral part of the Overseas Housing Allowance. It covers reasonable security related expenses for uniformed service members. All costs incurred under this program must be for modification to the physical dwelling, such as installation of bars on windows, security doors, alarm systems etc. Expenditures which are not related to the physical dwelling, such as security guards or dogs are not permitted. MIHA Security cannot be used for other purposes such as modification for home safety. The housing office is only authorized to approve up to twice the monthly rental amount. Entitlements exceeding twice the monthly rent will be submitted through the Chief, Housing Management, to the Commander 425 ABS before the modifications are accomplished. 

MIHA/Rent is the amount paid per month by a member to a landlord for the possession and use of a dwelling place. If the rent changes for any reasons, the OHA will be recomputed. 

For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at Izmir, Turkey you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging. 

Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise you which local hotel you will be staying.

If permanent housing is not secured within 10 days, military members are required to report to the MHO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and parking (there are plenty of park houses) do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing. 

For more information about TLA at Izmir, Turkey, please contact Milirary Housing Office DSN: 675-6756 or Commercial phone 011-90-232-4556750

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee. 

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please contact the Civilian Personnel Office at Incirlik AB, Turkey at DSN: 314-676-6578 or visit the State Department website. 

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance. 

The MHO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office at 011-90-232-4556800 (DSN 314-675-6800).