Welcome to Joint Base Lewis-McChord Housing

Joint Base Lewis-McChord Family HousingThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. When you arrive at Joint Base Lewis-McChord you must visit the MHO to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.

heat tool

HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

Contact Information

   Housing Services Office

Phone (253)967-3581
Email the Housing Office
Address Building 5128, Pendleton Ave.
JB Lewis-McChord, WA 98433
Hours of Operation M-W & F - 8:00am-2:30pm by appointments only
M-F- 8:00am-3:00pm by phone and e-mail

   Privatized Housing 

Lewis-McChord Communities
Lincoln Military Housing
Phone McChord - (253)589-0523
Lewis - (253) 912-2150
Fax (253)912-2151
Email:  familyhousingservices@lpsi.com
Address Building 3209, Maple Street
JB Lewis-McChord, WA 98433
Hours of
M,T,Th,F - 8:00am - 4:00pm
W - 8:30am - 4:00pm
Find us on Facebook facebook icon

   Unaccompanied Housing 

Phone (253)982-7474
Email usarmy.jblm.id-readiness.list.dpw-rcd-mcchord-field-dorms@mail.mil
Address 566 Outer Circle Drive
McChord Field, WA
Hours of
M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm

External Links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.

housing options

  • Privatized Housing

    Privatized Housing
    At Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) military family housing is privatized. Lewis-McChord Communities, LLC (Powered by Equity Residential) owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Equity Residential. For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at JBLM visit the Lewis-McChord Communities website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

    Applying for Privatized Housing
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to JBLM. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

    Community Amenities
    Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services. Community features such as community centers, resident activities, playgrounds, walking trails, and community parks are just some of the amenities you will find at Lewis-McChord Communities. As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

    Paying Rent for Privatized Housing
    Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

    Gas and Electric Utilities
    Prospective residents should be aware that utilities are not free. Lewis-McChord Communities has fully implemented the Department of the Army's Residents' Responsibility Utility Program for electric and gas to encourage energy conservation. Utility program and conservation information is available on the Minol website.Click Here for more information.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. As part of the privatized housing at Lewis-McChord Communities, each active duty Service Member is provided with renter's insurance of $20,000 per unit, per occurrence, as part of your rent (some deductions may apply). This insurance provides a limited amount of coverage for personal property and may be extended to cover the personal property owned by family members and guests while it is on the resident's premises. The renter's insurance program also provides personal liability insurance of $100,000 (some restrictions may apply). Policy coverage is provided by Delos Insurance Co. Upon effective coverage date, Deans and Homer, the managing underwriter, will mail a complete policy including detailed information on how to handle claims, questions or changes to the policy. Deans and Homer Customer Service Department can be reached at (800) 548-1616. Each Service Member is encouraged to supplement this basic renter's insurance based upon their personal assessment of the amount of property or liability coverage needed to protect their own interests. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the Property Management Office for more information about coverage.

    Joint Base Lewis McChord School Information
    The JBLM School Liaison Office can be reached at (253) 967-7195. Clover Park School District operates six elementary schools on JBLM including Beachwood, Carter Lake, Clarkmoor, Evergreen, Greenwood and Hillside. Information is available at http://apps.schoolsitelocator.com/?districtcode=49274 and http://www.cloverpark.k12.wa.us

    Pet Information
    Lewis-McChord Communities residents are limited to a maximum of four pets per dwelling unit. The following dog breeds are not permitted in on-base family housing: Pit Bull (American Staffordshire Bull terrier or English Staffordshire Bull terrier), Rottweiler, Doberman Pincher, Chow, and wolf hybrid or any other breeds (including mixed breeds) that are deemed aggressive or potentially aggressive unless the dog is a certified military working dog that is being boarded by its handler/trainer. Exotic animals such as reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, potbellied pigs, ocelots, coatimundis, ferrets, monkeys, snakes, prairie dogs, minks and farm animals are not allowed. Pets must be registered with the JBLM Veterinary Treatment Facility and the Property Management Office within 10 calendar days of occupancy of on-base housing or when a current housing occupant acquires a new pet. The JBLM Veterinary Treatment Facility will issue tag numbers with proof of current vaccinations and micro chipping. Pet immunizations and micro chipping are available by appointment only. The JBLM Veterinary Treatment Facility is located at Bldg 768, off Warehouse Road, McChord Field. The facility is open Monday- Thursday from 0800-1600 hours and on Friday from 0800-1500 hours and can be reached at (253) 982-3951 or through their website. Click Here for more information.

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At JBLM we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

    Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

    The permanent party UH campus at JBLM consists of seven dormitories (604 bed spaces) located in two enlisted campuses. The Main Campus includes Buildings 564, 565, 567, 572 and 574.

    Bldg 564: 2+2 Configuration, Private Room; Built in 1987 and Renovated in 2011.

    Bldg 565: 2+2 Configuration, Private Room; Built in 1987 and Renovated in 2011.

    Bldg 567: 2+2 Configuration, Private Room; Built in 1995.

    Bldg 572: 1+1 Configuration; Built in 1997.

    Bldg 574: 1+1 Configuration; Built in 1999.

    The North Campus includes Buildings 1151 and 1152.

    Bldg 1151: 2+2 Configuration, Private Room; Built in 1953 and renovated in 2010.

    Bldg 1152: 2+2 Configuration, Private Room; Built in 1953 and Renovated in 2010.

    Amenities include the Airmen Community Center, gaming zone and beverages and snacks from the USO.

    Restrictions at JBLM are detailed in 62nd Airlift Wing Pamphlet 32-20.

    Base Specific Policy
    During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

    Base specific UH policies for McChord Field dormitories are contained in 62nd Airlift Wing Pamphlet 32-20.

    UH Management Office Staff
    The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation. If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

    If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

    If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

    In case of emergency during your trip to JBLM, contact your sponsor, unit first sergeant or commander. To reach your unit, call the JBLM base operator at (253) 982-1110 or DSN (312) 382-1110.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

    Space Available Rooms
    When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

  • Community Housing

    Community Housing Units
    The MHO keeps a list of available apartments and houses for sale or rent and also maintains a current listing of realty companies that do not charge a fee for their property listings.

    Generally, the monthly price range for rental apartments, not including utilities, is from $800-$1,800 for one-bedroom units; $1,025 to $2,950 for two-bedroom units and $1,300 to $2,900 for three-bedroom units. Generally, the monthly price range for stand-alone rental housing, not including utilities, is from $1,400 to $3,600 for three, four and five bedroom units depending on square footage and location. The monthly price range for rental duplex housing, not including utilities, is from $900 to $3,500 for two and three bedroom units.

    The MHO also offers Home Buying and Selling workshops throughout the year. Workshops are taught by certified instructors from the Washington State Housing Finance Commission (Nonprofit Housing Advocacy). Workshops cover how to budget and save for a down payment, why it is beneficial to prequalify for financing, how to find a home and make an offer, how to apply for financing (VA/FHA loans), why it is important to have a home inspected, what takes place at closing, how to maintain a home after it has been purchased and what to do if financial trouble is encountered after a home is purchased. For more information about the workshops, call (253) 967-3581 or Click Here to send an email to the Military Housing Office.

    For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

    For additional information, visit the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner's website

    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

    The JBLM School Liaison Office can be reached at (253) 967-7195.

    School districts vary based on housing location. The following school districts service communities within commuting distance of JBLM:
    -Bethel- (253) 683-6000
    -Clover Park- (253) 583-5000
    -Fife- (253) 517-1000
    -Franklin Pierce- (253) 298-3000
    -North Thurston- (360) 412-4400
    -Peninsula- (253) 530-1000
    -Puyallup- (253) 841-1301
    -Steilacoom- (253) 896-2897
    -Tacoma- (253) 571-1000
    -University Place- (253) 566-5600
    -Yelm- (360) 458-1900

    You can obtain information regarding school ratings and rankings at:
    -State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction