Developing a sense of community starts here before you arrive at Okinawa. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff. 

If you are up for adventure--Okinawa is a great place to be stationed. Many residents see it as a stepping stone to exploring all that Asia and Australia have to offer. Okinawa, itself, is rich in history and beauty. With outdoor activities possible nearly year-round, it's a much-sought after tropical destination with some of the best diving in the world. Despite its natural beauty, it does take some adjustment as life on the island is very different from life in the United States. Tropical island living inherently bring with it humid living conditions, which can cause mold and mildew. Insects and other pests can also be a problem at times. Proper preparations and care of your home can help to reduce their prevalence in your living quarters. 

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

Shogun Inn (Kadena AB) 632-1010 
Navy Gateway Inns & Suites (Kadena AB) 634-0677 
WestPac Inn (Camp Foster) 645-2455 

Those who want to drive a motor vehicle on Okinawa must first attend Kadena's Drivers' Safety briefing. This briefing is offered every Wednesday at the Schilling Community Center as part of the Newcomers' Orientation. Sign up for Newcomers' Orientation begins at 7:30 a.m. at the Schilling Community Center. The Drivers' Safety briefing can also be completed every Friday at the Wing Safety Building (Bldg. 908) at 10:00 a.m. Pre-registration is not required. 

Bring a copy of your orders, a stateside driver's license and a military I.D. card. Click here for a Factsheet about Driving on Okinawa.

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in [government housing is 110 volts and 60 cycles, however, in community housing it is 100 volts and 50 cycles. Transformers are available through the government Furnishings Management Office (FMO) and may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores. Dual voltage equipment and appliances can be used in both government and community housing.

More information on products for each location can be found on the AAFES website.

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area. 

18th Force Support Squadron/FSFR
Unit 5134 Box 80
APO AP 96368-5134

Building 220 
DSN: 315-634-3366
COMM: 011-81-611-734-3366
Fax DSN: 315-634-0539
Fax Comm: 011-81-611-734-0539

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the MHO for more information about preparing for your move to this location. 


Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the MHO. 

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates. 

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc. Members must process OHA/MIHA entitlements through the MHO.

For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office Website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at Okinawa, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging. Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise whether you will reside in an on-base Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF), a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility.

If permanent housing is not secured within 10 days, military members are required to report to the MHO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and preferred school districts do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing. 

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee and how many dependents are living with the employee. 

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please visit the State Department website

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance. 

The MHO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office:
18 Comptroller Squadron, Kadena AB Japan
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday 0830-1530
Customer Service Telephone Number is 634-1415
Customer Service E-mail Service: