Developing a sense of community starts before your arrival at Osan AB, ROK. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. We encourage you to reach out to the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff for Referral and Relocation services.

Planning Your Move
Moving to an oversea location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure a seamless process to get settled into your new home and community. Please use the Housing On-line Military Enterprise System ( to preview rental properties available in the local community. We recommend that you do not commit to a financial contract until you arrive and visit the properties.

Power Requirements 
The electrical current off base is 220 volts and 50 cycles. The electrical current on base is 110 volts and 60 cycles. Transformers are usually provided by the property manager. The Furnishings Management Office (FMO) maintains a limited number of transformers for checkout. Transformers are also available for purchase in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) store. Click Here to view the website.

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is also a great resource for information about the area. See:

Additional Questions?
If you have questions or need additional support, contact your sponsor and the MHO for more guidance about preparing for your move to Osan. 


Military members are entitled various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, contact the MHO or Financial Service Office (FSO). 

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations. These extra allowances are in place to offset the higher costs of living in oversea communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates. 

Members are also authorized a one-time MIHA. This allowance is provided to purchase supplemental items such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity and plumbing connections, etc., which are not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the U.S. community. For more information about OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at Osan, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging. 

Prior to your arrival, work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor will advise whether you will reside in an on-base Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF), a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility.

If permanent housing is not immediately secured, military members are required to report to the MHO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlement to be extended for the next 10 day period you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO and squadron commanders may require a list of the housing units visited and the reason the units were not accepted. Pet restrictions, preferred school districts and lack of personal transportation do not qualify as reasons for not accepting available housing. 

Contact the MHO at DSN 784-1840 for more information about TLA claims. Contact the Lodging Office at DSN 784-1844 for TLF availability.

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive an LQA. LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most cases, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable LQA rate depends on location of the duty assignment, grade of the employee and number of dependents residing with the employee. 

It is important to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more LQA information, visit the State Department website

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
Service members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract, at which time, repayment in-full of the security deposit advance is required. The MHO will assist you in completing required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For questions about the program, contact the base Financial Services Office at DSN 784-1850.