Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive at RAF Lakenheath/RAF Mildenhall. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff.

RAF Lakenheath is located 70 miles northeast of London and 25 miles from Cambridge. The closest town is Lakenheath village which is located two miles from the base. RAF Feltwell and the village of Feltwell are approximately eight miles away. RAF Mildenhall is approximately seven miles from RAF Lakenheath and Lakenheath Village. The closest towns to Mildenhall base are Beck Row and Mildenhall.

The communities surrounding RAF Lakenheath/RAF Mildenhall offer a number of affordable and beautiful rentals for those seeking off-base housing. The Lakenheath Housing Office has a team specifically for off-base referral inquiries. Housing within the immediate area of the base is primarily detached (single house), semi-detached (duplex) and terraced (in rows). Housing on the economy may not be what you're used to in the U.S. British houses are generally smaller and larger houses are two stories with steep staircases. The hallways and doorways are narrower and most of the fitted kitchens are not able to accommodate U.S.-specific appliances.

 Be aware that road conditions change seasonally; for most of the fall and winter months, driving to and from work will occur in the dark and English roads are not well lit.

If you are bringing pets, or plan on buying a pet while in the UK, please be advised that 80 percent of all rentals off base do not allow pets. Those that do may require an additional, upfront payment from you as a security deposit in the event of damage incurred. This may cost you anywhere from an additional 100-500 pounds sterling.

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

Lakenheath Liberty Lodge
Front Desk DSN: 226-6700
Commercial: 01638 52 6700
From the US: 011 44 1638 52 6700
Reservations DSN: 226-6713 or 226-6988
Commercial: 011 44 1638 52 6713 or: 011 44 1638 52 6988
Fax DSN: 226-6717
Commercial: 01638 52 6717

Mildenhall Gateway Inn
Front Desk DSN: 238-6001
Commercial: 01638 54 6001
From the US: 011 44 1638 54 6001

Hours of Operation*:
Check-in time - 2:00pm
Check-out time - 11:00am
* Note: Front desk open 24 hours a day, including holidays

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in the United Kingdom is 220 volts as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Furnishings Management Section (FMS) and 220 volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores.

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, view the local base newspaper and ask the Family and Airmen Readiness Center. More information on products for each location can be found on the AAFES website.

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area.
RAF Lakenheath: 48th Force Support Squadron
RAF Mildenhall: 100th Force Support Squadron
Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the MHO for more information about preparing for your move to this location.


Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the MHO.

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) / Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates.

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc.

Rental Costs: The current average rental prices in the immediate vicinity (in pounds sterling):
· Two-Bedroom Home: $1,300 (£900)/month
· Three-Bedroom Home: $1,400 (£1000)/month
· Four-Bedroom Home: $1,700 (£1200)/month

All rents are per calendar month and are paid in advance by the tenant. Landlords and rental property companies will require a one-month security deposit in addition to the first month's rent. This deposit is returned to the member when they leave, provided the property is returned to the landlord in good order, normal wear and tear is acceptable. All landlords are now required by UK law to register a tenants deposit to ensure independent protection of the deposit by one of 3 authorized UK government deposit protection schemes.

Utilities, including water, are normally paid by the tenant on a quarterly basis. Utility companies may require payments to be made by direct debit through a bank; this will waive the requirement to pay a deposit. You will receive a monthly utility allowance based upon whether you are accompanied, unaccompanied or mil-mil.
For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at RAF Lakenheath/RAF Mildenhall, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging.

Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise whether you will reside in an on-base Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF), a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility.

If permanent housing is not secured within 10 days, military members are required to report to the MHO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and preferred school districts do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing.

For more information about TLA and TLFs at RAF Lakenheath, please contact the MHO at 226-2000.

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee and how many dependents are living with the employee.

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please visit the State Department website.

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance.

The MHO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office.

RAF Lakenheath - DSN 226-1851
RAF Mildenhall - DSN 238-2387