Welcome to Shaw AFB Housing

Shaw Family Housing Front YardThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. When you arrive at Shaw AFB, you must visit the MHO to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.



HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

contact information

   Military Housing Office

Phone  (803) 895-2427
Fax  (803) 895-2428
Email 20ces.Housing@us.af.mil
Address  369 Rhodes Avenue
 Shaw AFB, SC 29152 
Hours of Operation  M-F - 0800-1600 (ET)

   Privatized Housing

 Hunt Military Communities
Phone  (803) 812-4200
Address  369 Rhodes Avenue
 Shaw AFB, SC 29152
Hours of
 M-F - 0800-1700
Website: www.shawfamilyhousing.com

   Unaccompanied Housing

Phone  (803) 895-5627
 DSN 965-5627


Address  417 Polifka Dr.
 Shaw AFB, SC 29152 
Hours of
 M-F - 0900-1500

External Links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.

Housing options

  • privatized housing

    Privatized Housing
    At Shaw AFB, military family housing is privatized. Hunt Military Communities own 633 homes and are responsible for maintaining, repairing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you may now choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with our privatized partner Hunt.

    For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Shaw AFB visit the Shaw Family Housing website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

    Applying for Privatized Housing
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Shaw AFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

    Community Amenities
    Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

    Community features such as playgrounds, picnic areas, dog park, planned social activities, and walking trails are just some of the amenities you will find at Shaw Family Housing.

    As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

    Paying Rent for Privatized Housing
    Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

    Gas and Electric Utilities
    At this location, homes in the community are not metered and your rent will include these utility costs, up to your full BAH amount. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

    School Information
    Sumter School District offices are located at:
    1345 Wilson Hall Road
    Sumter, SC 29150
    Phone: (803) 469-6900 Fax: (803) 469-3769

    The schools for residents of privatized housing are:
    Oakland Primary, PK - 1 - (803) 499-3366
    Shaw Heights, Grades 2-3 - (803) 666-2335
    High Hills Elementary, Grades 4-5 - (803) 499-3327
    Ebenezer Middle School, Grades 6-8 - (803) 469-8571
    Hillcrest Middle School, Grades 6-8 - (803) 499-3341
    Crestwood High School, Grades 9-12 - (803) 469-6200

    The elementary schools are within walking distance.

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At Shaw AFB, we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to the airman's and soldier's development process. UH is provided for unaccompanied airmen and soldiers in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each member is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living.

    The permanent party UH campus at Shaw AFB consists of three 1+1 dormitories, one 2+2 dormitory, and four Dorms-4-Airmen (D4A) dormitories. Our dormitory configurations are: 1+1 - shared kitchen and bathroom concept; 2+2 - shared bathrooms only; D4A - shared common space, i.e. kitchen, living area with flat screens and cable installed, walk-in closets and washers/dryers. Rooms in a D4A include all furnishings and a personal bathroom for each member.

    Amenities in the 1+1 and 2+2 dormitories include three dayroom layouts which provide a pool table, arcade video games, ping pong tables, flat screen TVs with cable, foosball table and vending machines. Two of the D4A dorms have a single dayroom. Each dorm has a shared pavilion to be used for cook outs and a separate area for smoking. We also have two basketball courts and a volleyball court for your enjoyment. Restrictions at Shaw AFB include:  No smoking within 25 feet of the dorms; No pets with the exception of fish housed in an aquarium or fish bowl; No weapons are allowed in the dormitories at any time. Restricted weapons include, but are not limited to, guns, any knife with a blade greater than 3 inches long, paint balls, aerosol guns, flammable items, etc. All firearms must be kept at the Security Forces Squadron (SFS) Armory; No displays which are derogatory towards race, gender, politics, drug use, or military leadership; No guest is allowed in the dorms between the hours of 0001-0600.

    Base Specific Policy
    During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies such as no smoking in any government facilities and the Shaw AFB lock-out policy that states all members who experience accidental lock outs must report to SFS front desk to retrieve their spare key with an I.D card. The spare key must be returned to the SFS front desk within 20 minutes.

    UH Management Office Staff
    Shaw's UH Management Office is staffed with professionals who can assist you with all of your housing needs. Shaw's staff is comprised of five non-commissioned officers (NCOs) and one civilian who are called Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADLs). These members are highly motivated personnel and they're dedicated to ensure each resident receives quality customer service. They will provide you guidance and advice on regarding life in the dorms and will mentor you how to succeed in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment to Shaw AFB, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in a dorm where other residents assigned to your unit reside to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available in your unit's assigned dorm, you may be assigned a temporary room until a room near the members of your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    Prior to starting your travel to Shaw, you should arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival. If you arrive at Shaw on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office that is located on the first floor of Dorm 418. A Dorm Manager will check you into your room, perform a move-in inspection, and conduct an inventory of the furnishings and supplies assigned to you. If you arrive on a weekend day, a holiday or after normal duty hours, ask your sponsor to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or reserve a hospitality room for you. If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing. The dorm managers conduct a mandatory in-processing briefing every workday at 1300 hours. You will be scheduled for this briefing as soon as possible after your room is assigned. If arriving after duty hours, your sponsor can schedule your briefing when picking up your room key. If you cannot attend the assigned briefing, you must contact your dorm manager to reschedule.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room, any shared living space and campus common areas clean and tidy. You are also held accountable for the furnishings provided to you.  Residents are liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. Cleaning supplies and equipment are provided to you free of charge.Contact dorm management for available supplies.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants conduct individual room inspections for Airmen within their units. Each squadron tailors room inspection frequency to meet their needs. UH does not conduct room inspections, however, they may go into your room to check on maintenance issues or conduct other routine maintenance inspections.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." Airmen will be periodically detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus. First Sergeants create the Bay Orderly schedule and notify both Airmen and their supervisors when tasked for this detail.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment. The Airmen Dormitory Council is composed with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities, and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

  • Community Housing

    Housing in the Local Community
    The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

    Housing Services
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

    Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

    The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

    Community Housing Units
    Whether you want to buy or rent a home, Shaw AFB and the local communities offer housing to suit most any budget. The Sumter Apartment Guide and/or the Subdivision Guide provide valuable information regarding the communities and will assist you as you search for suitable housing.

    For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

    Before signing a lease or deciding to purchase a property we recommend you verify there are no area-specific requirements for insurance, e.g., flood insurance. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

    School Information
    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

    Please go to: www.district.sumterschools.net to read about the latest information regarding the Shaw/Sumter area schools.