Welcome to Vandenberg SFB Housing

Vandenberg AFB HousingThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. When you arrive at Vandenberg SFB. you must visit the MHO to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.

heat tool

HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

Contact Information

   Military Housing Office
Phone (805) 606-3434
DSN 276-3434
Fax (805) 606-7699
DSN 276-7699
Email:Workflow EmailManagers
Address 602 Juniper Street
Vandenberg AFB,CA 93437
Hours of Operation M,T,Th,F - 7:00am - 4:00pm
W-10:00am - 4:00pm

   Privatized Housing
Balfour Beatty Communities
Phone (805) 734-1445
Fax (805) 734-1433
Address 602 Juniper Street
Vandenberg AFB, CA 93437
Hours of
Mon-Fri 8:00am - 5:00pm
Sat & Sun - Closed

   Unaccompanied Housing
Phone (805) 605-2048
Fax N/A
Address 347 South Dakota Avenue
Vandenberg AFB, CA 93437
Hours of
M,W - 7:30am - 4:30pm
T,Th - 8:30am - 4:30pm
F - 9:00am - 4:30pm


External Links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site

Housing Options

  • Privatized Housing

    Privatized Housing
    At Vandenberg SFB, military family housing is privatized. Balfour Beatty Communities (BBC) owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Balfour Beatty Communities.

    For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Vandenberg SFB, visit the Vandenburg Family Homes website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

    Applying for Privatized Housing
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Vandenberg SFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

    Community Amenities
    Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

    Community features include playgrounds, a jogging track, picnic tables, barbecue grills, sports fields, Dog Park, swimming pool, Spray Park, tennis, basketball and sand volleyball courts. Additionally, a Community Center which includes a multi-purpose room equipped with a full kitchen, fitness room and sauna are just some of the amenities provided by Balfour Beatty Communities at Vandenberg SFB.

    As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

    Paying Rent for Privatized Housing
    Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

    Gas and Electric Utilities
    At this location, homes have been metered for gas and electric (with the exception of the 132 excess homes); however, the project owner has elected not to proceed in billing residents for their gas and electric usage at this time.  However, mock-bills for gas and electric may still be received by residents for informational purposes.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You are required to obtain a minimum legal liability coverage of $100,00 and are highly encouraged to obtain personal property insurance for your possessions. 

    School Information
    For information on schools for housing residents please visit on the Santa Barbara County Education Office website. Local schools include Crestview Elementary School, Manzanita Public Charter School, Vandenberg Middle School and Cabrillo High School.

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At Vandenberg SFB, CA we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

    Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

    The permanent party UH campus at Vandenberg SFB consists of 9 buildings of 300 rooms and 1 building of 72 rooms (double occupancy) for Pipeline Students.

    Amenities include the "The Vibe", which is main unaccompanied housing dayroom. The Vibe also has two large screen TVs, various gaming systems, air hockey table and free Wi-Fi. The campus also has 5 individual day rooms located throughout the campus with free Wi-Fi, ping-pong tables, a pool table, Blu-Ray players and flat screen televisions. Restrictions at Vandenberg SFB can be found at www.e-publishing.af.mil, SLD30PAM32-6000.


    Base Specific Policy During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

    Smoking policy, pet restrictions, etc. are specified in the 30 SW Pamphlet 32-2, Unaccompanied Housing.

    UH Management Office Staff The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

    If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

    If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key in advance during normal duty hours from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager. If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

    Resident Responsibilities You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.
    Termination It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

    Space Available Rooms When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.



    View Slideshow

    Agena and Jupiter Dorms Grand Opening Video

  • Community Housing

    Housing in the Local Community
    The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

    Housing Services
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

    Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

    The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

    Rental Partnership Program
    At Vandenberg SFB, CA, the MHO supports the Rental Partnership Program to help military members obtain adequate housing in the community. The MHO and local landlords enter into agreements to offer service members special rental benefits above what other tenants receive. Typical benefits might include a waiver of security and utility deposits, no credit checks or application fees, a discount on market rental rates and immediate access to housing. Contact the MHO for more information about participating property managers and the benefits available.

    Community Housing Units
    Vandenberg SFB is located in northern Santa Barbara County. The main areas of population around the base are the Santa Maria Valley with 128,458 people and the Lompoc Valley with 48,931 people. Median home sale prices for northern Santa Barbara County were approximately $480,000 - $700,000 in 2023. Average rental rates in the area are as follows:

    - 1 Bedroom Apartment $1900 - $2100
    - 2 Bedroom Apartment $1800 - $2200
    - 3 Bedroom Apartment $8200 - $3400
    - 3 Bedroom House $2500 - $3000
    - 4 Bedroom House $2800 - $3500

    For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

    School Information
    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.
    Please visit the Santa Barbara County Education Office website for more information on our local school districts.