Eielson AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Eielson AFB, military family housing is privatized. Mayroad owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Mayroad.

For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Eielson AFB, visit the Mayroad website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Privatized Housing

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Eielson AFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

  • Attached heated garage
  • Lawn maintenance
  • Deployed spouse program
  • Curbside trash pick-up
  • Street maintenance
  • Management of snow and ice on streets and sidewalks
  • Modern energy efficient appliances(stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher)
  • Community playgrounds and tot lots
  • Walking and bicycle paths

As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Privatized Housing Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

Electric and Steam Utilities

Homes on Eielson AFB are not yet metered and your rent will include these utility costs, up to your full BAH amount. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Privatized Housing Office.

Personal Property Insurance

You may wish to obtain renter's insurance and should choose the policy that best fits your needs and lifestyle. Please consult with the Privatized Housing Office prior to choosing coverage.

School Information

Local school information can be obtained at the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District website (http://www.k12northstar.org/) . For families who elect to live on base, your children will attend one of the schools listed below:

Anderson Elementary

Kindergarten - 3rd Grade
768 Kodiak Street
Eielson AFB, AK
(907) 372-2167

Crawford Elementary

3rd Grade - 6th Grade
692 Ravens Way
Eielson AFB, AK
(907) 456-7794

Ben Eielson Jr/Sr High School

7th Grade - 12th Grade
675 Ravens Way
Eielson AFB AK
(907) 372-3110

Unaccompanied Housing

At Eielson AFB AK we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen E-4 and below by order of the Commander 354 FW. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living for the duration of their tour. E-4 personnel authorized to reside off-base and receive single rate BAH at their departing base must make arrangements with TMO to place their furniture in storage for the duration of tour, or until he/she is promoted to E-5 or married and accompanied by dependent(s). Contact Eielson Dorm Management for further guidance.

Unaccompanied Airmen, E-5 and above must move directly into community housing. Refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

The permanent party UH campus at Eielson AFB consists of:

  • One, Dorms-4-Airmen - include shared common areas and/or kitchen in the dorm rooms
  • Two, 1+1 dorms - include shared common areas and/or kitchen in the dorm rooms
  • Four, 2+2, pipeline-style dorms, renovated as of 2011 - shared dorm-wide common area kitchen


  • Private, sleeping quarters
  • Bed, desk, dresser, entertainment center, nightstand and shelves
  • Cable television
  • Wi-fi
  • Pool tables
  • Foosball, and various other games
  • Snack and soda machines
  • Micro Marts

Restrictions at Eielson AFB

  • Furniture may not be moved from dorm room.
  • Window usage is restricted from October to May due to extreme cold weather; and windows may not be opened when temperature is below 32 degrees. FYI, weather temperatures can range from 32 to -60 during winter months
  • No Pets are authorized

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the Airman Dormitory Leader (ADL) or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals to assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but may be comprised of noncommissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. Assigned military are ADLs, who are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit then notifies the UH Management Office of your impending arrival date and will work to secure a dormitory room for you.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at Eielson.

If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will check you into your room and perform a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

If you arrive on a weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or to acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Please provide a copy of orders to your sponsor or to the UH Management Office prior to arrival. Sponsor must present orders to obtain a room key for incoming personnel.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment are provided free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings, and may be held liable for damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their campus "home." Periodically, you will be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation in the Council at your location is an opportunity to be involved in shaping your living environment and for personal growth and development in leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen E-1 to E-4 to reside in UH at Eielson. E-4s residing in UH may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing if they have placed their name on the wait list and the occupancy rate is above 95%. The UH Management Office will advise you of the procedures to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, some personnel may be authorized to move out of UH during their tour at Eielson. The most senior Airmen are released first if they are not within 6 months of DEROS. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

Because Eielson AFB is a constrained location, all Unaccompanied Airmen E-4 and below are required to reside in UH until they are within 30 days of pinning on SSgt, or getting married. E-4s are authorized to live off base on a case-by-case basis, if the overall occupancy rate is above 95 percent. For more information, contact the UH Management Office.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized service to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, and many other services.

The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

The MHO can assist you by providing furnishings support. See Furnishings Management for a list of the appliances and loaner furniture available for the length of your tour.

Community Housing Units

Eielson AFB is located adjacent a small community called Moose Creek, approximately 6 miles south of North Pole, and roughly 25 miles south of Fairbanks. Housing units vary in size and amenities and rental costs are high. Two and three bedroom units without a garage rent for approximately $950 to $1,200 a month. Townhomes with a garage range from $1,350 to $1,600. Four + bedroom units are hard to find and cost considerably more (generally $1,800 to $2,700).

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions; you should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Before purchasing this insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

Military Housing Office

Phone COM 907-377-1840
DSN 317-377-1840
Email 354ces.familyhousing@us.af.mil
Address 354 CES/CEIHH
2334 Central Ave Bldg 2262
Eielson AFB AK 99702

Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 0730-1600
(Closed for Lunch 1200-1230)
Wed: 1300-1600

In Processing Tue - Thurs by appt
Out Processing Mon & Fri

Closed all Federal Holidays,
PACAF Family Days and weekends

Privatized Housing: Mayroad

Phone 907-302-2170
Email Eielson.leasing@themayroad.com
Address Mile Post 26 Community Center
663 Kodiak Street Eielson AFB, AK 99702
Hours Mon - Fri 0730-1630

Unaccompanied Housing Office

Phone COM 907-377-2727
DSN 317-377-2727
Address 354 CES/CEIHD
2334 Central Ave Ste 100
Eielson AFB AK 99702
Hours Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 0730-1530
(Closed for lunch: 1200-1230)
Wed: Closed