Holloman AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Holloman AFB, military family housing is privatized. Lend Lease/Soaring Heights Communities (SHC) owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Soaring Heights Communities.

For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Holloman, visit the Soaring Heights Communities website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Privatized Housing

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Holloman. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

Community features such as the Welcome Home Center, 22 playgrounds, two splash parks, basketball courts, walking trails and a soccer field are just some of the amenities you will find at SHC.

As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

Gas and Electric Utilities

At Holloman during the Initial Development Period (IDP), SHC will be responsible for all utility costs including water, waste water, gas and electricity. After the IDP, tenants will be responsible for their gas and electricity use. A tenant utility allowance will be based on 110% of their average estimated gas and electric costs. This allowance allows tenants to pay for their gas and electricity usage without incurring any out of pocket expense over and above their BAH unless they use over the estimated amount of utilities for their home.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

As a resident of SHC, each active duty service member is provided a limited amount of coverage for personal property. Service members are highly encouraged to supplement this basic renter's insurance based on their personal needs.

Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the Property Management Office for more information about coverage.

School Information

Visit the Alamogordo Public Schools website for school information related to Holloman AFB. A list of schools with contact information is also posted on the Referral and Relocation Assistance tab.

Holloman Schools Liaison Officer: (575) 572-7754; DSN 572-7754

Unaccompanied Housing

At Holloman AFB we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing. Soaring Heights Communities also has a limited number of homes that they rent to unaccompanied personnel. See the Privatized Housing section for more information.

The permanent party UH campus at Holloman AFB currently has a total of 637 1+1 dormitory rooms which consist of a private sleeping/living room with a bath shared by no more than one other person.


Amenities include a full size refrigerator and a microwave in each dorm room, a dayroom on each floor, and at least one laundry room within each building. Currently 212 dormitory rooms also have kitchen facilities in the room. Those dormitories without kitchen facilities in the dorm rooms have a kitchen located in the second floor dayroom.

Restrictions at Holloman AFB include removal of government-owned furnishings from dorm rooms and the type of authorized pets is limited to gerbils, hamsters and fish. Smoking is only allowed in designated areas.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation. If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Housing Referral Office (HRO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The HRO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the HRO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

The HRO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The HRO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

Community Housing Units

Military members have a freedom of choice in selecting where they want to live within a 60 minute commute to Holloman. The Community Rental Market consists of:

  • 1 Bedroom Apts - Average Rent $350 - 800
  • 2 Bedroom Apts - Average Rent $400 - 985
  • 3 Bedroom Apts - Average Rent $750 - 1100
  • 1-2 Bedroom Duplex/Townhouses - Average Rent $400 - 1150
  • 3 Bedroom Townhouse - Average Rent $800 - 1200
  • 3 Bedroom House - Average Rent $800 - 1900
  • 4 Bedroom House - Average Rent $1000 - 2250
  • 5 Bedroom House - Average Rent $1100 - 2450

Most rentals include basic kitchen appliances (i.e. stove, refrigerator and dishwasher). Some include amenities such as a fenced yard, fireplace, garage, pool, ceiling fans, and washer/dryer in the unit or washer/dryer hook- ups. For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance (Renters Insurance)

It takes a lot more than pocket change to replace everything you own. Your clothing and furniture are just a start of your belongings. Consider what it would cost to replace your electronics and the things you use in your leisure activities. Fire, theft, or damage resulting from other perils can happen, and you could lose all your belongings in an instant. Don't assume your landlord/property manager will reimburse you for your loss. Renters insurance is affordable and is highly recommended to protect your things. Ask your insurance agent to help you obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions in the amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information

We understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live. Whether you choose a public school, private school, home school, or on-line school, you want to find the best fit for your kids. That is where your School Liaison Officer (SLO) can help. The SLO is here to assist you with any education-related needs pertaining to PCSing, TDY deployments, transitions, grade-level placements, special need services, graduation requirements, etc. The SLO is prepared to answer any and all questions you have regarding education within the local area. The Holloman AFB School Liaison Officer is located in the Airman & Family Readiness Center, 749 New Mexico Ave, Bldg 788, Holloman AFB, NM 88330. DSN: 572-7754 Comm. 575-572-7754.

Military Housing Office

MHO Phone (575) 572-2285
DSN 572-2285
HRO Phone (575) 572-7832
DSN 572-7832
Temporary Lodging
(575) 572-3311
DSN 572-3311
MHO Email UDG_49CES.CEIH_HousingManagement@us.af.mil
HRO Email 49ces.ceih.housingreferral@us.af.mil
Physical Address 2300 Alamogordo Blvd
Holloman AFB, NM 88330
Mailing Address 550 Tabosa Avenue
HollomanAFB, NM 88330
Hours M-F - 7:00am - 4:00pm (MST)

Privatized Housing

Phone (575) 479-1175
Fax (575) 479-9653
Email HAFBInfo@soaringheights.net
Address 2300 Alamogordo Blvd,
Holloman AFB, NM 88330
Hours M-F - 8:00am - 5:00pm(MST)

Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (575) 572-3295
DSN 572-3295
Fax (575) 572-2211
Address 791 Delaware Avenue
Bldg 336
Rooms 120, 122 & 124
Holloman AFB, NM 88330
Hours M-F -7:00am - 4:00pm (MST)