Kirtland AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Kirtland Air Force Base, military family housing is privatized. Kirtland Family Housing LLC owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Kirtland Family Housing.

For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Kirtland Air Force Base, visit the Kirtland Family Housing website found under the Important Links section of this page. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Privatized Housing

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Kirtland Air Force Base. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

Community features such as a Fitness Center, Community Pool, Tot Lots, Playgrounds with picnic areas, Bike Paths, Walking/jogging Trails, Town Centers (our beautiful main center and 3 smaller centers within the property), Basketball courts, Baseball and Soccer fields are just some of the amenities you will find at Kirtland Family Housing.

As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

Gas and Electric Utilities

At this location, homes in the community are metered and you will be billed directly for gas and electric. MINOL manages and collects your utility bill based on personal consumption. Since the homes are metered, you will retain a portion of the BAH to pay the utilities directly. The utility allowance is determined based on 110 percent of the estimated average utility cost (gas and electric) for each unit type. The more energy you conserve, the more money you keep in your pocket! For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office.

Personal Property Insurance

Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the Property Management Office for more information about coverage.

School Information

Commitment to your children's education is understandable and appreciated. Kirtland Air Force Base and Kirtland Family Housing work together to have the most current and complete information available. You may contact the 377th ABW Kirtland School Liaison Office at DSN: 246-6477 or (505) 846-6477, or Kirtland Family Housing at (505) 232-2049 with questions or to request specific information.

Unaccompanied Housing

At Kirtland AFB, we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location).

Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

The permanent party UH campus east side of the base consists of 574 permanent party rooms and 208 pipeline student rooms.


Amenities include shaded grounds, volleyball courts, horseshoe pits and convenient location in relation to walking distance to the gym, bowling alley, Shoppette, BX and dining facility.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, your Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL) or the UH Management Chief will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies. No smoking in or around dormitories. No one under the age of 18 is permitted in the dorms. No pets other than fish, quiet hours 24/7, and guests are not allowed between the hours of 2400 - 0600.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Our staff is comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO) and a UH Management Chief. These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or UH Management Chief will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or UH Management Chief.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Ensure your sponsor obtains a copy of your orders prior to arrival. This will help with placing you in your permanent room quicker. Also give the ADLs here at Kirtland a call to ensure you have all the correct information prior to arrival.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Chief if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home". You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Chief about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact your ADL or UH Management Chief for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Chief will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact your First Sergeant with your circumstances prior to the UH Management Office.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

The MHO gathers data from local housing sources, including landlords, property managers and/or property owners about available residential rental properties and "For Sale by Owner" properties within the Kirtland AFB commuting area. The MHO also reviews local area residential [rental and for sale] websites for current market statistics and housing trends that may be helpful to both current and inbound base personnel. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

Community Housing Units

Albuquerque, located in Bernalillo County, offers a diverse home rental and sales market surrounding historic Route 66 and other historic or tourist landmarks. Contact the MHO for current apartment rental rates.

The Albuquerque metropolitan area is home to many retired and military families. Kirtland AFB Military Housing Office is available to assist eligible base personnel (active duty and retired military/civilian) with their housing needs.

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Rental Partnership Program (RPP)

The Kirtland MHO certifies and refers active duty Servicemembers and their dependent family members to quality, off-base rental properties with priority placement. This RPP enables Servicemembers to enjoy reduced move-in costs and lower monthly rental rates than normally available. Contact the MHO for a list of available RPP properties.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information

For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

Albuquerque Public Schools (APS) is the largest school district in New Mexico and provides educational services for Elementary Schools (K-5), Middle Schools (6-8), High Schools (9-12), as well as several Charter Schools authorized by APS.

For more specific APS information to include (but not limited to) enrollment, before and after school programs, school ratings, transfers and transportation, please visit the Albuquerque Public Schools website, or call Kirtland AFB's School Liaison Office at 505-846-6477 (DSN 246-6477). You may also contact the School Liaison Office for information about schools that are outside of the APS system.

Military Housing Office

Phone (505) 846-8217
Fax (505) 846-7976
Address 1451 4th Street SE
Kirtland AFB,NM 87117
Hours Mon-Fri: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Closed -Weekends, Holidays
and Wing Training Days

Privatized Housing

Phone (505) 551-3855
Address 1012 Golden Smoke Drive SE
Albuquerque, NM 87116
Hours M-T, TH-F - 8:00am - 5:00pm
W - 9:30am - 5:00pm
Weekends - Closed (MST)
Website Kirtland Family Housing Website

Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (505) 853-5479
(505) 659-8866
Fax (505) 853-1200
Address Bldg 20222, 8201 Frost Ave.
Kirtland AFB, NM87117
Hours M-F - 7:00am - 4:00pm (MST)