Minot AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Minot AFB, military family housing is privatized. Minot AFB Homes owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement.

For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Minot AFB, visit the Minot AFB Homes website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Privatized Housing

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Minot AFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Minot AFB Homes Leasing to obtain information on the services available to you.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

Personal Property Insurance

You are encouraged to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and you should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information

Good quality education is provided on base for the children of the military community at Minot AFB. Schools require the child's birth certificate, current immunization record and last school attended in order to register.

Unaccompanied Housing

Unaccompanied housing (UH) is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3, and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. All Airmen are provided a private sleeping room. Furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living are provided. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

The permanent party UH campus at Minot consists of:

  • Four (4) "Dorms-4-Airmen" dormitories where four Airmen with private rooms and bathrooms share a kitchen, living space and washer/dryer.
  • Nine (9) dormitories where two Airmen with private rooms share a bathroom; each room has a private sink. The common area kitchens and dayrooms are down the hall.


Amenities include TV rooms, reading rooms, day rooms with billiard, foosball, and ping pong tables. A common area laundry room is provided in each dormitory with the exception of the Dorms 4 Airmen. Cable, phone and Internet are not provided; however they are available through Midco and SRT.


Restrictions at Minot include no smoking in any dormitory room or common area. Pets will be limited to fish in aquariums no larger than 10 gallons, and caged pets are limited to 1 guinea pig or 2 hamsters only. No overnight guests, no weapons, paintball guns, knives with blades over 3.5", candles, or incense. A complete list of prohibited items and actions will be provided during in-processing.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room and schedule your in-processing briefing.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

As soon as you get your orders assigning you to Minot AFB, send a copy to your sponsor. Your sponsor needs to bring your orders to the UH Management Office to reserve a room for you, no earlier than 3 days before your arrival. Your sponsor will be given a key to your room and a bag of linens (comforter, blanket, sheets, pillow, pillowcase and mattress pad).

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation. If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings during your scheduled in-processing briefing.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to attend your scheduled in-processing briefing.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Air filters and light bulbs (for your fixed light fixtures are available to you free of charge at the UH Management Office). You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

A hardship package must be submitted for anyone who is not active-duty Air Force in the rank of E-4 or below with less than 3 year's time in service who desires to reside in the dorms. Reservists, Guardsmen, members of other branches of the military, and anyone who is an E-4 or higher with more than 3 year's time in service must write a memorandum explaining why they desire to reside in the dormitories. This memorandum must be submitted to and approved by the member's chain of command

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

Immediately upon your arrival at Minot AFB, sign into your gaining unit and then visit the Military Housing Office (MHO). The MHO provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact your local MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others. The base Legal Office provides one-on-one counseling and review of leases as requested.

The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market.

Community Housing Units

Minot AFB is located in north central Ward County. The main areas of population are to the south of the base. The City of Minot has approximately 48,306 people, the town of Surrey has 1,329 people, Glenburn has 402 people and the town of Burlington has approximately 1,259 people. Our housing referral personnel can provide you current rental rates for the area. As of November 2023, the average rental rate for a two bedroom apartment was between $645-$1850.

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance

You will be required to obtain renter's insurance and are highly encouraged to obtain personal property insurance for your possessions, and you should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.


The availability of pet friendly rentals in the Minot and surrounding communities is very good. Even when a rental is pet friendly, there may be limitations to the breed, size, type of pet, and number of pets you may have. Landlords and property managers may charge a onetime "pet fee" that is non-refundable or a reoccurring monthly fee for pets. It is also recommended that you contact the local community to determine prohibited pets, each community has different rules.

Military Housing Office

Phone (701) 723-4660
DSN: 453-4660
Email 5ces.ceih@us.af.mil

445 Peacekeeper Place, Suite 141
Minot AFB, ND 58705

Hours M - Th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
F - 8:00 am - 4:00 pm (CT)

Minot AFB Homes

Phone (701) 727-0007
Email minotleasing@bbcgrp.com
Address 256 Spruce Street
Minot AFB, ND 58704-1797
Hours M - F, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sa 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Su 12:00 pm (noon) - 4:00 pm
Website Minot Homes

Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (701) 723-7284
DSN: 453-7284
Email 5cesuhm@us.af.mil
Address 221 Missile Avenue, Dorm 221
Minot AFB, ND 58705
Hours M - F 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
S - S 8:00 am - 2:00 pm