Nellis AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

The Military Housing Office (MHO) is the first stop for your housing needs. Our goal is to provide housing options that are safe and affordable. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you may also choose to live in privatized housing. At Nellis AFB, military family housing is privatized. Nellis Family Housing is owned and managed by Hunt Companies and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. The MHO establishes eligibility and referral for privatized housing. Please contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Nellis AFB. The housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. If you are interested in privatized housing, the MHO will need the following document package to process the application:

Nellis MHO Housing Application Packet


Please send the completed housing application package, along with a copy of your PCS orders to the MHO office at For additional information about the application process, please contact the MHO at COMM: 702-652-1840 / DSN: 682-1840. For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Nellis Family Housing, visit Hunt's website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services. Features such as a world class community center, swimming pool, fitness center, playgrounds, tot lots, picnic pavilions and soccer fields are just some of the amenities you will find at Nellis Family Housing. Please contact the Hunt Property Management Office at (725) 527-3200 to obtain more specific information on the services available.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the prorated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

Gas and Electric Utilities

The Utility Allowance (UA) Program is designed to encourage conservation of utilities by requiring residents to pay out of pocket for consumption above the average consumption for a like type unit. Due to concerns over the accuracy of the metering, the program was suspended Jan 31, 2020. Some Project Owners are relaunching the program after meeting the DoDs meter verification requirements, but not all owners are planning to reinstate the program. If the Project Owner reinstates the program, the UA is set based on average consumption of homes with similar characteristics. If you use more than the average consumption of your group, you will be required to pay, if you use less, you will either keep the savings or receive a rebate check. The payments or refunds are always based on your actual usage. More information on how the payments or refunds occur will be provided if the Project Owner has implemented the UA program. UA has currently not been implemented at Nellis Family Housing. For additional information regarding utilities, contact Hunt Nellis Family Housing at (725) 527-3200.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Residents are advised to evaluate their personal property insurance needs in relation to the value of their belongings and obtain insurance as needed. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the Property Management Office for more information about coverage.

School Information

Coral Academy K-5 On base (702) 701-2321; Zel & Mary Lowman Elementary School, (702) 799-4930, Mary and Carroll Johnston Middle School (702) 799-7001; Mojave High School (702) 799-0432. To arrange bus transportation, you must call the Clark County School District Transportation Office at (702) 799-8111.

Unaccompanied Housing

At Nellis Air Force Base, we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3, and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

The permanent party UH campus at Nellis Air Force Base consists of 11 dormitory buildings that are configured one of four ways. One of the existing dormitories is configured with the new AF standard; the "Dorms-4-Airmen" configuration, which consist of a private bath and a shared living/kitchen area. Eight of the dormitories are designed as the AF 1+1 configuration (two of these dormitories follow a 1+1 with kitchenette format and the other six follow a 1+1 format with a shared bathroom). The last two dormitories are designed with a private bath configuration. These dormitories are capable of supporting a total of 1,056 unaccompanied residents.


Amenities include picnic pavilions with BBQ grills around the dormitory areas and volleyball courts. The dormitory day rooms have big screen TVs and indoor games such as arcade games, tennis table, dart boards, shuffleboard and billiard tables. Including study spaces for airmen to relax and socialize.  

Specific dormitory restrictions at Nellis Air Force Base are identified under the Basic Dormitory Guidelines memorandum provided upon UH resident's arrival.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the Airman Dorm Leader (ADL) or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies. Smoking and Alcohol/Drugs policies, pet restriction, etc. are specified in the UH Dormitory Guidelines that will be provided to you upon arrival to Nellis Air Force Base.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

Unit Integrity

Nellis Installation does not assign rooms according to unit integrity. In most cases, you will be assigned a room based on the next available open room. Squadrons requiring BAS, will be issued rooms with a common area/shared living/kitchenettes.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival to Nellis Air Force Base.

If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Equipment can be provided to you free of charge, resident will have to sign out and sign back in equipment; vacuums, rug dr.’s, shop-vacs, and mops. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3, and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

Community Housing Units

Available properties are typically 3 to 4 bedroom homes, single and double stories with stucco exteriors and small compact yards with desert landscaping. The areas of the valley where this high growth rate was most evident is in the north, north-west with the most popular zip codes for Nellis families being in and around "Aliante" area (89084, 89085, 89031, 89087 and 89086) and for personnel assigned to Creech AFB (89143, 89131, 89166, 89149 and 89130). Some families who are not so concerned with daily commute time choose the "Summerlin" area (89138, 89134, 89135 and 89144) and Henderson; especially popular is the "Green Valley" area (89012 and 89052). Both Summerlin and Henderson are very popular with families that have school age children.

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information

For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

Contact the Clark County School District (CCSD) for information regarding available schools near your chosen area at (702) 700-5000;

Military Housing Office

Phone (702) 652-1840
Fax (702) 652-2652
Address 4601 Richard Kisling Drive,
Las Vegas, NV 89115
Hours M,T,TH,F - 7:30am - 3:30pm,
W - 7:30am - 1:00pm (PST)

Privatized Housing

Phone (725) 527-3200
Address 4601 Richard Kisling Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89115
Hours M-F - 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)


Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (702) 652-6769 /2472/4974/3162
Address 4555 Carswell Ave Bldg. 704
Nellis AFB, NV 89191
Hours M-F - 7:00am - 4:00pm