A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Government Housing

For many families, living in government housing provides easy access to a wealth of community services and amenities such as schools, youth programs, Commissary/Exchange, and food services. This is especially true in overseas locations where you will find yourself dependent on the support facilities and services on the installation much more than those in the U.S. Living within government housing provides a safe and secure place to reside and provides a mentoring and supportive environment for families.

Government housing is provided to military members and DOD Civilians who meet the appropriate criteria.

This includes:

  • Members on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependents authorized to reside with them
  • Military-Married-to-Military couples assigned to same or adjacent base and reside jointly
  • Designated Key and Essential DOD Civilian with a transportation agreement, on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependent
  • Other eligible DoD Civilians on excess inventory basis only

Contact the Military Housing Office (MHO) if you have any questions about the housing eligibility criteria at this location.

DoD Housing Office
We offer government housing in 7 different locations:

  • Kadena AB
  • Camp Courtney
  • Camp Kinser
  • Camp Lester
  • Camp McTureous
  • Camp Foster
  • Camp Shields

Effective 1 Aug 2009, all inbound accompanied military personnel are required to reside on base. Civilians will be assigned on an excess inventory basis only. Newly-assigned military members will be given a Family Housing Overview during the Newcomers briefing.

There are more than 8,300 on-base housing units, located on seven bases and camps throughout the island of Okinawa. Camps Courtney and McTureous comprise 12 percent of the housing inventory. Camp Kinser makes up another 12 percent. Camp Foster and Camp Lester has 28 percent, and Kadena Air Base has 48 percent of the inventory, which incorporates the Camp Shields and Chibana Housing areas.

Military Family Housing on Okinawa has a "Live Where You Work Policy," which means that every effort is made to offer members a unit closest to their duty stations. The DoD standard for commute time between home and work is 60 minutes or less.

Applying for Government Housing

Once you receive your orders, please submit an advance application for assignment (DD Form 1746) and the Sex Offender disclosure and acknowledgment (AF Form 4422) and email to The effective date of the application is the date you depart your prior installation (including members with TDY enroute) or the date ordered to active duty.

Applications can also be submitted upon arrival during your first visit to the MHO. MHO staff will be able to assist in the completion of the application and will review PCS orders and housing options with you. For walk-in applications, as long as you apply for government housing within 30 days of arrival, you will be placed on the waiting list effective the date you departed from your previous installation. After 30 days, the application date will be the date of the walk-in.

Once you know your arrival date on island, it is advisable for you or your Sponsor to schedule your initial housing brief ahead of time. If you are already on island, it is suggested that you report to the DOD Family Housing Office located on Kadena Air Base within two to three days of arrival to Okinawa. To schedule an appointment, you may contact MHO at DSN 634-0582, or via email,, or report to the housing office (bldg. 217). Business hours are as follows: 0800 -1530 hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and 0800 - 1200 hours on Wednesdays. Please provide a copy of your orders, any amendments, Dependent Area Clearance (Marine Corps), Dependent Entry Approval (Navy), and any useful documents such as promotion/pregnancy verification, remote orders, etc. Advanced registration is possible, but your application date is not the date you are added to the wait-list. You are added to the wait list in accordance with AFI 36-6001, Family Housing Management. For nearly all members, advanced application means you are added to the wait list on the day you depart your current duty station UNLESS the military sponsor and family members do not travel together. In general, this advanced registration puts members on the wait-list 24-48 hours before persons who walk into the DoD Housing Office. To advance register, send a copy of your orders, confirmed travel documents for all members listed in the orders, DD Form 1746 - application for assignment to housing and AF Form 4422 - sex offender disclosure form to If you have a completed package, you are added to the waiting list on the day of your departure UNLESS the military sponsor and family members do not travel together. Many families choose to participate in Delayed Dependent Travel. This system allows military sponsors to arrive on Okinawa prior to the family. While this is done for many reasons, please be advised the military member cannot be placed on the family housing waiting list until the family has ticketed travel and is within 30 days of arrival. A family housing unit cannot be assigned without the family being present. Participating in Delayed Dependent Travel may cause the military member to be temporarily assigned to unaccompanied housing. You and your family will attend an orientation housing briefing that provide information regarding on base housing. At this briefing, you will be advised the current availability of on-post housing in your grade (rank) and entitlement (bedrooms). If no homes are available on-post, you are then cleared to pursue off-post housing.

Please be sure your application identifies and includes supporting documentation for an impending promotion or gain of dependents so that you can be placed on the appropriate waiting list.

Community Amenities

Housing amenities include Stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer and dryer. The Furnishing Management Office will also provide an array of furniture items (beds, sofa, table, chairs, etc) until household goods arrive.

Community Amenities

  • Jogging Trails
  • Playgrounds
  • Base Swimming Pool
  • Golf Courses
  • Picnic/Barbeque Gazebos
  • Skate Park


Okinawa has a Joint Service Pet Policy for the ownership and control of pets in all Military Family Housing (MFH) areas. Certain dog breeds are prohibited in all MFH (i.e, Pit Bull/Bull Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, Chow, Canid-Wolf Hybrids, etc). Exotic animals such as, but not limited to, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), ferrets, hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, pot bellied pigs, monkeys, arachnids, or any farm animals are not permitted in government housing.

All pet owners must ensure their dogs and cats are properly registered with the Base Veterinary Facility (VTF) within three days (72 hours) of arrival. All MFH residents will be required to complete the Pet Registration Form prior to assignment to MFH. Two domestic pets per household, defined as a cat, dog or a combination, are allowed in single dwelling units, duplexes, multiplex units and towers. In tower buildings, cats are allowed on all floors; however, dogs are only allowed on the first and second floors. For more information regarding the Pet Policy, please refer to the link provided under Featured Documents. Please remember that having a pet does not guarantee you placement in a particular housing unit. Placement is based on availability and the member's entitlement. The non-availability of pet friendly housing is not a justification to turn down a housing offer.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information

Visit the DoDDS Pacific Okinawa District website found under the Important Links section of this page.

Unaccompanied Housing

At Kadena AB, Japan, we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4. Unaccompanied E-4 and below are to be on Restricted JFTR. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on dormitory)

The permanent party UH campus at Kadena AB, Japan consists of Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4 residing in various type of rooms with different configurations.


Amenities include fully furnished rooms (due to the shipment of household good limitation), cleaning supplies and equipment is provided.

Full JFTR has been implemented for members in ranks of E-5 and above. Please reconsider bringing large pieces of furniture to Kadena. We highly recommend that you utilize your Non Temporary Storage (NTS) entitlement at origin. If you bring furniture that will not fit into your dorm room or other unaccompanied quarters, the government will not return these items to NTS and storage facilities are not available. All dormitory rooms are furnished to include linens, a microwave, and a refrigerator. Some dormitories have shared bathrooms and some have private bathrooms. Most dormitories have shared kitchens and laundry rooms.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies. Currently at Kadena AB, Japan there is a Constrained Location Policy in place and Unaccompanied Housing Brochure is provided to all inbound residents upon arrival.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact their squadron's Airmen Dorm Leader to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Sponsors are responsible for ensuring a room is assigned prior to inbounds arrival. Sponsors will sign/pick-up room key, linen and anything else to ensure a smooth transition.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4 to reside in UH. Contact your respective ADL for procedures you must follow to clear your room. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

All dorms have sponsors, however, if there are no rooms available inbounds will be assigned to other squadrons facilities. Dorm Integrity is enforced when rooms become available.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with a personalized service to assist in locating suitable housing in your new host country. Moving to a new country can often be confusing and stressful; however, it can also be exciting. Living off base provides members and families the chance to experience a new culture and make friends with their host country neighbors. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation as well as local laws governing off-base housing. The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market.

The MHO monitors off-base rental listings to ensure that they are safe and adequate.

All DoD personnel, whether on an accompanied or unaccompanied tour, are required by individual service regulation to report to the Housing Referral Office before making a commitment to rent, lease or purchase off-base housing. This is to protect the DoD personnel, and ensure they have accurate information for securing a home.

After you move into your home, the MHO is available for on-going assistance with translation services should you need to communicate with your landlord.

Community Housing Units

The MHO provides up-to-date listings of available economy units, translation services, and landlord/tenant mediation. Newcomers who plan to live off base can expect to pay a number of upfront costs prior to moving in to their house or apartment, and should plan accordingly. Standard practice by housing agencies on Okinawa is to charge an agency fee usually equal to 50 percent of one month's rent, a security deposit equal to one month's rent, and first/last month's rent, all due at lease signing.

Japanese living is considerably smaller than what we are accustomed to in the US. Average, 3 bedroom units are typically about 1,100 square feet. Many units seldom have central heating and cooling systems, as the year round temperature on Okinawa is 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Portable units can be used, but expect for utility bills to be quite high. Members should also expect to pay water, sewage and trash collection fees at off-base housing.

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

Realtor Services

The majority of the rental units are handled by housing agents. These agents are individuals or offices representing the owner of the property for rent or sale. HRO is contacted daily by the agents to obtain the maximum number of rental units for referral to DoD personnel.

School Information

For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live. For more information about schools, visit the the DoDDS Pacific Okinawa District website found under the Important Links section of this page.

Military Housing Office

Phone Operator 011-81-98-938-1111(Comm)
098-938-1111(Local Phone)
then dial 634-0582
DSN (315) 634-0582/83
Fax DSN (315) 632-0311
Address 718 CES/CEH
Unit 5261
APO AP 96368-5261
Hours M,T,Th,F - 8:00am - 3:30pm
W - 8:00am - 12:00pm
(Japanese Standard Time)

Housing Maintenance
Flight Service Desk

Phone 634-HOME(4663)
Website Housing Maintenance Customer Service

Unaccompanied Housing

Phone 011-81-734-4016

DSN (315) 634-4016
Fax DSN (315) 632-0311
Address UNIT 5261
APO AP 96368
Hours M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm
(Japanese Standard Time)