Sheppard AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Sheppard AFB military family housing is privatized. Balfour Beatty Communities (BBC) owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with BBC.

For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Sheppard AFB, visit the BBC website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Privatized Housing

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Sheppard AFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

Community features such as tot lots, playgrounds, basketball courts, two swimming pools, and a community center with an exercise room, a meeting room that can be reserved for special events, and a computer room are just some of the amenities you will find in Sheppard's privatized housing areas.

As a resident of privatized housing, contact the BBC property management office to obtain more specific information on the services available at Sheppard AFB.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a one year lease agreement. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

  • Q: If both spouses are service members, do they both "forfeit" BAH rent?
    A: No, the rent will be the with dependant rate of the ranking member.
  • Q: How much is my rent?
    A: Your rent is the with dependant rate BAH for your rank.
  • Q: If I receive a promotion or demotion, what is the amount of my rent?
    A: The rent will increase for a promotion and decrease for a demotion. The rental amount is always the with dependant BAH rate. It is your responsibility to notify the Community Management Office within five (5) days of any promotions or demotions.
  • Q: Who is responsible for answering payment questions?
    A: BBC's Community Manager
  • Q: Will rent be prorated if I move out other than the last day of the month?
    A: Yes. To estimate your prorated rent refund, divide your BAH by 30 to determine the daily rate. The rent will be assessed only for the days that you lived in housing.

Gas and Electric Utilities

At Sheppard, homes in the privatized housing community are metered however utility costs are currently included in your rent. In the future you may be billed directly from the local gas and/or electric company. If this change occurs in privatized housing, you will retain a portion of your BAH to pay the utilities directly. The utility allowance is determined based on 110 percent of the estimated average utility cost (gas and electric) for each unit type. The more energy you conserve, the more money you keep in your pocket! For more information about your utilities, please contact the BBC Property Management Office.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

BBC provides a Personal Property Insurance policy up to $20,000 with a $250 deductible. Before purchasing insurance, please consult the Property Management Office for more information about coverage.

School Information

Privatized Family Housing at Sheppard AFB is serviced by two school systems, Wichita Falls Independent School District (WFISD) and Burkburnett ISD (BISD). WFISD has controlled choice of schools and magnet programs. Burkburnett ISD services Freedom Estates.

Unaccompanied Housing

At Sheppard AFB we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism, and personal dignity. UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens, and supplies required for comfortable living (Room arrangements may vary depending on location). UH is also provided for US and Allied Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training (ENJJPT) program for student officers.

Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service, officers, and ENJJPT students on the second or more assignments will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing. There are three permanent party UH campuses at Sheppard AFB. Unaccompanied ENJJPT student officers reside in Bldg 280 (UOQ) which houses officers from NATO countries. Each resident is provided their own quiet studio room with private latrine which is approximately 350 Sq Ft. All UOQ rooms are furnished with a full side captain's bed, love seat, ottoman, two chairs, two night stands, dresser, desk with book case, and office chair. The kitchen has a gas range, microwave, and refrigerator. Linens are available.

Unaccompanied enlisted Airmen reside in Bldgs 527 and 1670 (UNCOQ). Bldg 527 is a 1 + 1 meaning you will share a latrine. Bldg 1670 is a Dorms 4 Airmen design and will have a private latrine. Each room is approximately 120 Sq Ft. All rooms are furnished with a full size captain's bed, one chair, one night stand, dresser, TV armoire, and bookshelf. Linens are available. All dormitory rooms are non-smoking and other restrictions like no pets apply. Contact dormitory management prior to arrival to discuss specific concerns.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room. Also contact ADLs at (940) 676-1672/1674 (Enlisted) and (940) 676-5772/2846 (Officers) or via email at for additional information and procedures.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation. If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager. For Officers, please make lodging reservations at (940) 676-1844 or If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home". Enlisted residents will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the SAFB Dormitory Superintendent about rooms at DSN 736-1674 or

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

The MHO partners with landlords, realtors, and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

Community Housing Units

Wichita Falls and the surrounding communities offer a wide variety of apartments, rental homes, and sale properties to meet most needs, tastes, and price ranges. The area offers studio, one, two, three bedroom, and loft style apartments. Most apartment complexes offer unfurnished units that range from around $500 and up. Furnished apartments and short-term leases are limited and corporate apartments can be pricey.

Three bedroom rental homes are very popular in the local community with rent ranges from around $1100 and up. Four bedrooms are available and usually rent for around $1400 and up. There are also many sale homes in the community. Taxes and insurance may be higher than in other areas of the country so be sure to factor those costs when you are determining how much you can pay for a house.

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information

For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

Local area school systems:

Local area information is subject to change without notice. Carefully consider your options prior to putting any money down on a property. Please contact our staff prior to entering into any agreement.

Military Housing Office

Phone (940) 676-1840
DSN 736-1840
Fax (940) 676-5771
DSN 736-5771
Address 310 H Avenue, Bldg 373
Sheppard AFB, TX 76311
Hours M - F - 9:00am - 12:30pm (Walk in)
M - F - 12:30pm - 3:00pm
(By appointment Only)

Balfour Beatty
Privatized Housing

Phone (940) 613-0709
(877) 323-3889
Fax (940) 613-0698
Address 505 Nehls Blvd
Sheppard AFB, TX 76311
Hours M,T,Th,F - 8:00am - 5:00pm
W - 8:00am - 7:00pm
Website Sheppard Family Housing

Freedom Estates
Privatized Housing

Phone (940) 500-4075
Fax (940) 500-4107
Address 102 Falcon
Sheppard AFB, TX 76311
Hours M-F - 8:30am - 5:00pm
Closed on Sat & Sun

Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (940) 676-1674 Enlisted
DSN 736-1674
(940) 867- 3417 Officers
Fax (940) 676-5771
DSN 736-5771
Address 310 H Avenue
Bldg 373 (Housing Office)
Sheppard AFB, TX 76311
Hours M - 7:30am - 3:00pm
T-F - 7:30am - 4:00pm