Developing a sense of community here starts before you arrive at Lajes Field. We recognize the efforts behind this transition and want to make sure you are satisfied with the details of your move. To obtain Referral and Relocation Assistance, we encourage you to reach out for personalized services provided by the Military Housing Office (MHO) staff. 

Planning Your Move
Moving to an overseas location requires additional planning to make sure you and your family are prepared for the transition. There are many things you can do before you arrive to ensure the process to get settled in your new home and community is seamless.

The Mid-Atlantic Lodge provides high quality lodging service for transient personnel at Lajes Field, Azores. 

Power Requirements 
The electrical current in both housing areas are 220 volts and 50 cycles as opposed to 110 volts and 60 cycles in the United States. Transformers for use with small electrical appliances are available through the government Furnishings Management Office (FMO) and [220] volt appliances may also be purchased in the local Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) stores. 

Departing service members often sell their used 220 volt appliances for a reasonable price. For advertisements of products available, view the local base newspaper; ask the Family and Airmen Readiness Center and visit the Thrift Store. 

More information on products for each location can be found on the AAFES website.

Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC)
The local AFRC is another great resource to obtain pertinent information about the area. 

Additional Questions?
If you have any questions or require additional support, please contact the MHO for more information about preparing for your move to this location. 

Restrictions at Military Family Housing include: 
- The limit of pets (dogs/cats) allowed are 2. Exotic pets, such as snakes, wildcats, monkeys, and so forth are prohibited. No farm animals, wild animals, or wild fowl are permitted. 
- Do not leave outside lights on during daylight hours. 
- Do not use more than 60-watt light bulbs in light fixtures within your unit. 
- Grills should be lit and supervised by adults only. They should be kept free of building overhangs and porches. Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from all structures. 
- Speed limit in all housing areas is 15 miles per hour unless otherwise posted. 
- On base parking of privately owned vehicles must be in driveways or authorized parking areas only. 
- The following quiet hours will be observed: Monday through Friday 2200-0730; weekends and holidays 2200-0900. Call 65 SFS, ext. 535-3222, for assistance on any abuses. Excessive noise is the primary complaint received by Housing Management. Many Air Force personnel work shifts and sleep during the day. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE. 

Your children should be closely supervised at all times except as follows: 
- While traveling to and from school; while playing in approved playgrounds during daylight hours or within child-play areas that are within sight of residences. 
-- If child is aged 6-9, parents must physically check on the child at least hourly when unattended. 
-- If child is age 10-11: they may be left unattended for periods not to exceed 2 hours between the hours of 0700-2200; may travel, with parent's permission, on errands to on-base facilities (e.g. Library, shoppette, etc); May travel to/from Lajes Youth Center for open recreation/supervised program. 
-- If the child is aged 12-15 years old: May be left unattended, but not overnight; Must be checked on by an adult every 6 hours. 
-- If child is aged 16-17 years old: May be left unattended while sponsor is on short temporary duty or leave not to exceed 7 consecutive days; Adult supervision/guardian must be available to make periodic checks; Must be provided with emergency telephone numbers, and knowledge of how to contact parents; Adult supervision/guardian must have Power of Attorney for all medical care, etc.
Parents and Guardians will ensure dependents under 18 years old maintain quiet hours on-base and in Lajes Field Housing from 2200 to 0730 Sunday through Thursday, 2300 to 0900 on Holidays and weekends. 65 FSS LFI 34-201 governs the supervision of children in MFH. 

Common Areas: Entrance areas, stairwells, and landing must be kept free of all objects including bicycles, roller skates, skateboards and other toys; lawn mowers, garden tools and trash. These areas are not to be used as a place to play. Be considerate and help maintain the overall appearance of your home.

Many landlords do not allow pets, so ask before making any commitments. Pets in Off Base Housing: Pets must be registered at the veterinary clinic on the Base whether you live on or off the base. The local authorities and the Landlord/Owner of the premises being rented determine number of pets authorized off base. 

Dangerous Dog Breeds 
A special license is required for dangerous breeds and dangerous dogs and can be obtained in the Town Hall (Junta de Freguesia). The license must be renewed annually. To obtain a license, shot records and proof that the dog has been electronically identified through a microchip are required. After the dog is registered, a permit to go into public is required. The requirements for such a permit are:
- The registering individual must be at least 18 years old, must sign a responsibility document where the animal's characteristics and the accommodations are clear. Provide an insurance policy of at least € 50.000, that can be obtained for about 25-30 € per year. This permit is annual, so it has to be renewed yearly.
- Whenever dangerous breeds are walked outside, the individual must always make sure, he/she carries the license, the dog is muzzled, and the leash is no longer than one meter. 
- If the animal injures someone, presents an aggressive behavior and/or is difficult to control it could be sterilized or put to sleep.

Military members are entitled to various allowances to ensure the transition to a new location is as smooth and stress free as possible. If you have any questions about the allowances listed, please contact the MHO. 

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) and Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)
For overseas areas only, individuals moving into community housing may be eligible for OHA and MIHA. Specific circumstances, conditions and requirements of OHA or MIHA are identified in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations.

These extra allowances are in place to off-set the higher costs of living in overseas communities. OHA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses for rental and utility/recurring maintenance allowances. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in exchange rates. 

Members are also authorized a one-time Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA). This allowance is provided for the purchase of supplemental items not normally available in foreign housing, but considered standard when renting in the community at U.S. locations such as window coverings, light fixtures, electricity connection, etc. 

For more information about your OHA and MIHA, visit the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) 
When you arrive at Lajes Field, you will be staying in temporary accommodations until you move into permanent quarters. TLA is an entitlement to partially offset the more-than-normal expenses incurred during occupancy of temporary lodging. 

Prior to your arrival, please work with your sponsor to secure temporary accommodations. Your sponsor can advise whether you will reside in an on-base Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF), a local hotel or an off-base TLF-type facility. Please remember to keep all receipts for Lodging, Meals and Laundry.

If permanent housing is not secured within 3 days, military members are required to report to the MHO every 10 days for a recertification of TLA. For TLA entitlements to be extended for the next 10 day period, you must be actively seeking adequate housing as the MHO requires a list of the housing units visited and the reason why they were not acceptable. Pet restrictions and preferred school districts do not qualify as reasons for non-acceptance of available housing. 

For more information about TLA and TLFs at Lajes Field, please contact MHO or Capital Asset Management Office at DSN 535-3507. 

Living Quarters Allowance (LQA)
Civilian employees recruited from the U.S. are required to live in the local community and may be entitled to receive a Living Quarters Allowance (LQA). LQA is in addition to other allowances and, in most instances, covers most of the costs of housing, heat, electricity, trash, water, and sewer service. The maximum allowable rates depend on the location of the duty assignment, the grade of the employee and how many dependents are living with the employee. 

It is important for individuals to know that LQA is a reimbursement and based on actual expenses. It is adjusted every pay period for changes in monetary exchange rates. For more information on LQA please visit the State Department website.

Financing Your Up-Front Move-In Cost 
All service military members are entitled to a 100 percent advance of required up-front rent payments and security deposits. Service members must pay back the advanced rent in 12 monthly payments. They may request to have repayment of the security deposits over $500 suspended until termination of the rental contract. Upon termination of the contract the member is required to repay the full amount of the security advance. 

The MHO will assist you in completing the required paperwork to begin processing your rent advance. For specific questions about the program, please contact the base Financial Services Office at DSN: (314) 535-CASH (2274).