Welcome to Misawa AB Housing



Misawa Family HousingThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you.

When you arrive at Misawa AB you must visit the MHO within 24 hours of arrival. This visit is necessary to obtain housing, verify your eligibility for Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA), and receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.


heat tool

HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

Contact Information

   Military Housing Office

Phone  011-81-176-77-3200
 DSN (315) 226-3200
Email  housing@us.af.mil
Address  35 CES/CEIHH 
 Unit 5022
 APO AP 96319-5022
  Bldg 656 MAB
Hours of Operation Mon-Thurs 0800-1600  Fridays 0800-1400   Sat/Sun Closed
 Holidays/Down Days Closed
Find us on Facebook facebook icon

   Military Housing Maintenance

Phone (24/7/365)

From US:011-81-176-77-4663
 DSN (315) 226-4663

Address  35 CES/CEIHM
 Unit 5022
 APO AP 96319-5022
  Bldg 790 MAB

   Unaccompanied Housing

Phone  011-81-176-64-4000
 DSN (315) 226-4000
Address  Building 671
 Misawa AB 
Hours of
 M, W, F  0830-1530
 Tu, Th      0730-1630
 (Japanese Time)


Local Time

External Links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site

Housing options

  • Government Housing

    For many families, living in government housing provides easy access to a wealth of community services and amenities such as schools, youth programs, Commissary/Exchange, and food services. This is especially true in overseas locations where you will find yourself dependent on the support facilities and services on the installation much more than those in the U.S. Living within government housing provides a safe and secure place to reside and provides a mentoring and supportive environment for families.

    Effective 1 Sep 2009, the Installation Commander implemented an "On-Base First" Family Housing (FH) policy, established for active duty accompanied members and mil to mil co-located in Misawa. If on-base FH is available upon your arrival, members must accept an on-base unit that meets grade and family size IAW AFI 32-6000.

    This includes:
    - Members on an accompanied tour with Command Sponsored dependents authorized to reside with them
    - Military-Married-to-Military couples assigned to same or adjacent base and reside jointly
    - Designated Key and Essential DOD Civilian with a transportation agreement

    Contact the Military Housing Office (MHO) if you have any questions about the housing eligibility criteria at this location.

    Misawa Government Housing
    Government housing is located in 2 different locations:
    - Main Base
    - North Area

    Misawa's inventory consists of more than 1,600 Townhome and/or Tower units. Unaccompanied members E1 - E4 with less than 3 Years of Service are only authorized 10% of full JTR and must reside in the on-base Dormitories. Effective 8 Sep 2015, E4 with 3 Years or more Years of Service have the option to reside off-base with their respective commander’s approval and are authorized full JTR weight allowance. Please coordinate with your outbound Transportation Management Office (TMO) to ensure you are receiving the correct weight entitlement if you plan to reside off-base. All other accompanied and unaccompanied Air Force personnel with a permanent change of station (PCS) to Misawa AB are authorized full JTR weight allowance. Due to the smaller size of government quarters, accompanied personnel are encouraged NOT to ship their full JTR weight allowance. We highly recommend that you utilize your non-temporary storage (NTS) entitlement at origin. In the event you ship your full JTR weight allowance, Misawa AB does not have storage facilities to accommodate excess household items. Local rental storage units are also very limited. Housing and the TMO will not ship items back to the continental US (CONUS) for non-temporary storage (NTS).

    On-base FH amenities include stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer and dryer. The Furnishing Management Section (FMS) may also provide a 90 Day Loaner Kit consisting of an array of basic furniture items such as beds, sofa, table, chairs, etc. The Airman and Family Readiness Center (AFRC) has a Loan Locker that provides additional amenities to include pots and pans, plates, cups, small appliances, etc. Both the FMS and the AFRC household furnishings issued are only authorized until the arrival of your household goods.

    Certain dog breeds are prohibited to be taken/shipped to Japan under PCS orders to III MEF or MCB Japan (i.e, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Canid-Wolf Hybrids). Per AF directives, certain aggressive dog breeds are prohibited in all military family housing (i.e, Pit Bulls, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweilers, Chow, Wolf Hybrids, etc). Exotic animals such as, but not limited to, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), ferrets, hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, potbellied pigs, monkeys, arachnids, or any farm animals are not permitted in government housing.

    Not all housing is pet friendly; all efforts will be made to accommodate families with pets. The non-availability of pet friendly housing is not a justification to turn down a housing offer. Pets (cats and dogs) are authorized in single family units, townhouses, and multiplex homes. Before making arrangements to bring a pet to Misawa, you are strongly encouraged to contact the MHO at least 30 days prior to arrival to ensure pet friendly housing is available. Having a pet does not guarantee you placement in a particular housing unit. Placement is based on availability and the member's entitlement. Only two pets are allowed in family housing unless an approved waiver is acquired by the sponsor. Contact the Military Housing Office for details on this process.

    Applying for Government Housing
    Please submit an advance application for assignment (DD Form 1746) through the MHO at your losing installation with a complete copy of your PCS orders. The effective date of the application is the date you depart your prior installation (including members with TDY in route) or the date ordered to active duty. Please be sure your application identifies and includes supporting documentation for an impending promotion or gain of dependents so that you can be placed on the appropriate waiting list.

    Applications can also be submitted upon arrival during your first visit to the MHO. MHO staff will be able to assist in the completion of the application and will review PCS orders and housing options with you. All incoming personnel must report to the MHO within 24 hours of arriving.

    Community Amenities
    See Referral and Relocation Assistance for a list of the community amenities available at Misawa.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. If you are unable to purchase property insurance state side there are several locations located in Misawa to assist you.

    School Information
    - Sollars Elementary School
    - Edgren High School

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At Misawa AB strives to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and the Air Force strives to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    Residing in UH (Dorms) is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4 with less than 3 Years of Service. Each Airman in UH is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary based on location.) E-4 with more than 3 Years of Service have the option to reside in the UH, or reside in off-base Community Housing.

    Permanent party UH campus consists of eleven multi-level buildings:
    - Five buildings with four floors, private living quarters; equipped with laundry rooms and dayrooms on each floor, and cooking facilities on the 2nd and 3rd floors
    - Two building with three floors, private living quarters
    - Four with three floors, one-bedroom apartments, each with a kitchen, living room, and sleeping room, similar to a one-bedroom apartment with laundry rooms and day rooms on the 1st floor

    - Kitchens
    - Vending machines
    - Entertainment centers
    - Various recreational equipment.

    - All Dorms are non-smoking areas
    - Pets limited to fish or turtle/tortoise
    - Weight entitlements for furnishings annotated on individual PCS orders. Unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4 with less than 3 Years of Service are authorized 10% of their JTR Weight Allowance, E-4 with more than 3 Years of Service have the option to reside in the UH, or reside in off-base Community Housing. If you intend to reside in Community Housing you are authorized Full JTR Weight Allowance.

    Base Specific Policy
    The ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies during your orientation.

    UH Management Office Staff
    The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure a dormitory room for you. We highly encourage you keep close contact with your sponsor and confirm information you may need to determine what Household Goods you may need.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

    If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

    If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager. If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still mandatory to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is an opportunity to be involved in shaping your living environment and for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your UH Management Office about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-4 with less than 3 Years of Service to reside in UH. E-4 with more than 3 Years of Service have the option to reside in the UH, or reside in off-base Community Housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room before you PCS or move out of the Dormitories.

    Space Available Rooms
    Contact the UH Management Office at DSN 315-226-4000 to inquire about availability of a space-available rooms.

  • Community Housing

    The Housing Management Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized service to assist in locating suitable housing in your new host country. Moving to a new country can often be confusing and stressful; however, it can also be exciting. Misawa Air Base has an "On-Base First" policy for all active duty accompanied families assigned to Misawa Air Base, Japan. If on-base housing is unavailable upon arrival, accompanied military families are permitted to secure housing in the local community until units become available on base. If you secure accommodations in the local community keep in mind, living off base provides members and families the chance to experience a new culture and make friends with their host country neighbors, and the MHO will assist you every step of the way.

    Housing Services
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation as well as local laws governing off-base housing. The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market.

    The MHO monitors off-base rental listings to ensure that they are safe and adequate.

    The MHO can assist you with:
    - Translation services to establish appointments to view available units
    - Negotiating lease contracts
    - Assisting in establishing utility services
    - Schedule an appointment with the Furnishing Management Section (FMS). To provide furnishings support. See Furnishings Management for a list of items available for 90-days. An FMS representative is located within the MHO to provide the quickest and most efficient service in assisting you.

    After you move into your home, the MHO is available for on-going assistance with translation services should you need to communicate with your landlord.

    Community Housing Units
    The MHO provides up-to-date listings of available economy units, translation services, and landlord/tenant mediation.

    Newcomers who are authorized and plan to live off base in the Misawa community should plan to pay a number of upfront costs prior to moving in to their house or apartment, and should plan accordingly. Standard practice by housing agencies at Misawa is to charge one month's rent, a security deposit equal to one month's rent, and first/last month's rent, which are all due when securing lease signing.

    Although the local community has gone through great efforts to construct "American Style" Homes for families, Japanese living is considerably smaller than what we are accustomed to in the US. Average, 3 bedroom units are typically about 1,100 square feet. Houses vary regarding the type of heating and air conditioning provide. Some units have central heating and cooling systems, and other may have window air conditioning or individual kerosene heating units in the individual rooms. Misawa has four season, similar to the North East United States or Midwest. Portable units can be used, but expect for utility bills to be quite high. Members should also expect to pay water, sewage and trash collection fees at off-base housing.

    For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Several insurance agencies are located immediately outside the Misawa Main gate. These are the same agencies that provide vehicle insurance. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

    Realtor Services
    The majority of the rental units are managed by housing agents and services at Misawa. These agents are individuals or offices representing the owner of the property for rent or sale. HRO is contacted daily by the agents to obtain the maximum number of rental units for referral to DoD personnel. Agency representatives are located in the Housing Office and will assist in matching your needs with an agency. They will also arrange to meet you and show the units that are available for immediate occupancy.

    School Information
    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

    For more information about schools, visit http://www.dodea.edu/Pacific/ .

    Sollars Elementary School (DSN 226-3933)
    Grade Level: PreK-6
    Areas Serviced: Entire Misawa community

    Edgren High School (DSN 226-4377)
    Grade Level: 7-12
    Areas Serviced: Entire Misawa community