An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

COVID-19 Information

During the COVID 19 pandemic housing is operating a reduced office presence and therefore consultations are by pre booked appointments only

The best way to contact all sections of the housing office is by the housing org box;

Welcome to RAF Alconbury Housing

Alconbury Family HousingThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. Within two days of your arrival at RAF Alconbury, you must visit the MHO. This visit is necessary to obtain housing, verify your eligibility for Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA), and receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing. It is advised to wait until you arrive to secure housing in order to tour available units.


heat tool

HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the site.

contact information

   Military Housing Office

Phone  44-1480-843518
 DSN 314-268-3518
Address  423 CES/CEIHH
 Unit 5621
 APO AE 09470-5621
Hours of Operation  M-Th - 8:30am - 4:00pm
 F - 8:30am - 1:00pm

   Unaccompanied Housing

Phone 44-1480-843115 
DSN 314-268-3115
Address  423 CES/CEACU 
 Unit 5621 
 APO AE 09470-5621
Hours of
 M-Th - 8:30am - 4:30pm
 F - 8:30am - 4:00pm


   AMEY/MMS Housing Maintenance Help Desk

Phone  0800 055 6293


   Serco (Appliance) Help Desk

Phone  01480-843416
 DSN 268-3416

Local Time

External Links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.

Housing Options

  • Government Housing

    Government Housing

    For many families, living in government housing provides easy access to a wealth of community services and amenities such as schools, youth programs, Commissary/Exchange, and food services. Living within government housing provides a safe and secure place to reside and provides a mentoring and supportive environment for families. Government housing is provided to military members who meet the appropriate criteria. This includes: - Members with dependents authorized to reside with them - Military-Married-to-Military couples assigned to same or adjacent base and reside jointly Contact the Military Housing Office (MHO) if you have any questions about the housing eligibility criteria at this location.

    RAF Alconbury Housing


    1-2 Bedroom Unit

    2-4 Bedroom Units


    6-3 Bedroom Units

    4-4 Bedroom Units


    8-4 Bedroom Units


    25-3 Bedroom Units

    4-4 Bedroom Units


    58-2 Bedroom Units

    35-3 Bedroom Units

    11-4 Bedroom Units

    Housing amenities include:

    - UK spec Washing Machines, Clothes Dryers and Stoves

    - UK spec Refrigerators and Dishwashers

    - Bedrooms to all units are carpeted

    - Tiled living room area in 38 units

    - Carpeting in living room in 77 units

    - Dining areas are either tiled or linoleum

    - Dual Voltage: There are both 220v and 110v sockets in the housing units for UK and US devices.

    Restrictions at RAF Alconbury include: - 2 pets per household - Exotic pets are not authorized - Banned breeds are not permitted* - Farm, ranch or wild animals are prohibited - Water beds may only be assembled in single story dwellings - Hand guns are not permitted in the UK - Shot guns, rifles and BB guns may be stored in MFH as long as they are registered with Security Forces Pass and Registration and the method of storage conforms with UK law.

    *Per AFI-32-6000, Pit Bull (American Staffordshire Bull Terrier or English Staffordshire Bull Terrier), Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher, Chow and wolf hybrids are not allowed in base housing. Further, the UK has also banned the Pit Bull, as well as the Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, and Fila Brasileiro from being owned. Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what it looks like, rather than its breed or name. Example: If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be a banned type. Please click here for further information.

    Applying for Government Housing

    If you desire to live in government housing, please submit an advance application for assignment (DD Form 1746) through the MHO at your losing installation with a complete copy of your PCS orders. The effective date of the application (i.e. the date you become eligible for base housing) is the date you depart your prior installation (including members with TDY en route) or the date ordered to active duty. This date is also used to determine the order of precedence when managing the respective waitlists. Applications can also be submitted upon arrival during your first visit to the MHO. MHO staff will be able to assist in the completion of the application and will review PCS orders and housing options with you. For walk-in applications, as long as you apply for government housing within 30 days of arrival, you will be placed on the waiting list effective the date you departed from your previous installation. After 30 days, the application date will be the date of the walk-in. Please be sure your application identifies and includes supporting documentation for an impending promotion or gain of dependents so that you can be placed on the appropriate waiting list. Per AFI 32-6000 “Members with an impending entitlement (promotion, increase in the number or maturation of dependent) that would entitle member to an additional bedroom in the following 12 months must provide supporting documentation and note the entitlement in the remarks section of the application. Members applying at the Housing Flight provide documentation with the housing application. Members applying online provide information on the advance application, print a confirmation copy and present the online application and supporting documentation to the gaining Housing Flight upon arrival. The Housing Flight requires a physician statement to confirm pregnancy and a written statement from the military personnel flight (MPF) to confirm selection for promotion.”

    Community Amenities

    - Bank (Credit Union)

    - Base Exchange

    - Bowling Alley

    - Child Development Centre

    - Commissary

    - Gymnasium

    - Hobby Shop

    - Library

    - Outdoor Recreation Centre

    - Post Office

    Personal Property Insurance

    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. It is recommended that you consider including an accidental damage clause as part of your policy. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

    School Information

    RAF Alconbury’s Elementary School and Middle/ High School can accommodate children Pre-K through High School. The schools are within walking distance of the MFH on Alconbury and there is a school bus pick up in the majority of the towns and villages for families that opt to reside in the local, off-base community.

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At RAF Alconbury we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furniture bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

    Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will need to visit the Housing Office for information and assistance on securing off-base housing.

    The permanent party UH campus at RAF Alconbury consists of 120 dorm rooms, 91 have shared bathrooms while the other 29 are individual suites consisting of a bed room/living space plus a bathroom. There are also 29 kitchenettes in the building, each one shared by 4 residents.

    Amenities include Wireless Internet use, 3 Day Rooms one with games, one with gaming consoles and one with a common use kitchen for functions, BBQ pits, and laundry room. Restrictions at RAF Alconbury include no cooking in rooms, no pets except fish, nonresidents out of facility by 0000.

    Base Specific Policy
    During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

    UH Management Office Staff
    The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

    If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

    If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

    If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear.

    See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships.

    Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

    Space Available Rooms
    When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. For space available, a form has to be signed stating UH may have to give 30 days notice if the room is required for a junior member who is priority 2, space required.

    Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

  • Community Housing

    Housing in the Local Community

    The Housing Management Office (HMO) provides all DoD personnel with a personalized service to assist in locating suitable housing in your new host country. Moving to a new country can often be confusing and stressful; however, it can also be exciting. Living off base provides members and families the chance to experience a new culture and make friends with their host country neighbors. The HMO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

    Housing Services

    Contact the HMO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation as well as local laws governing off-base housing. The HMO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The HMO can assist you by: - Reviewing leases and advising with regard to rental negotiations - Assisting in establishing utility services - Providing temporary furniture and appliance support. Appliances such as washers, dryers, fridge/freezers, and electrical transformers are available for the duration of your tour. Unfortunately, these services are only available for military and DoD employees and are not available for contractor employees

    Alconbury has the service to provide transportation to members and their families to view properties.

    Rental Partnership Program

    At RAF Alconbury, the HMO supports the Rental Partnership Program to help military members obtain adequate housing in the community. The HMO and local landlords enter into agreements to offer service members special rental benefits above what other tenants receive. Typical benefits might include a waiver of security and utility deposits, no credit checks or application fees, and immediate access to housing. Contact the HMO for more information about this program. You can also click here for a link to where you can search by base for our available listings 

    Community Housing Units 

    After you move into your home, the HMO is available for on-going assistance with advisory and mediation services if needed.. The square footage of UK properties is generally smaller than those in the USA and fitted closets are not an everyday feature. The major appliances are generally of a smaller dimension and capacity although available from FMO they are not normally provided by landlords. For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, please email if military. If you are civilian, you will need to contact your respective Civilian Personnel Office for this information.

    Personal Property Insurance

    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance if you want your possessions to be insured in case of theft, accident, or disaster and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. It is suggested that tenants take out accidental damage coverage when purchasing renters insurance. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the HMO for more information about coverage.

    Realtor Services

    In the U.K., listing properties for rent is primarily conducted via a web-based portal such as Right Move, or Zoopla. Rarely will you find the need to remain with only one agency. Please discuss any and all fees up-front, because fees are not reimbursable by the government. Further, we recommend you do not sign any lease before we have had an opportunity to review it and conduct an adequacy inspection on the property. Also, please be advised that if you ask for an agent to hold a property for you, you may be obligated to pay a holding deposit that is not reimbursable by the government. We also highly discourage signing a lease prior to your arrival, without having seen the property for yourself. Many factors, such as the ability of your furniture to be moved through hallways and stairs and fitting in the rooms, cannot be accurately determined without being physically present. In short, nobody knows your needs like you do.

    Off-Base Community School Information

    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live. Many families wish to immerse themselves in the local community as much as possible and to this end, they may wish to enroll their children in local British schools. If your child is approaching their 5th and 6th-grade years and plan to eventually return to the US school system, you may wish to consult the Alconbury Elementary School to ensure that the British curriculum will meet your child’s curricular needs for reintegration.

    When it comes to choosing an area to live, one of the considerations may be the quality of school for that catchment area. Although there are many different ways in which to determine this, a good place to start would be to obtain their Inspection Report from the compliance governing body Ofsted. You can either search for the school, or if this fails to yield anything, you can perform an internet search for their Unique Reference Number (URN) and use the URN Search. This will give you a fairly descriptive rating and rationale for the rating. If you view the “About Our Inspection Reports” page, this will give you some insight into the inspection methodology. Please be advised that you must live within the catchment area of the desired school in order for your child to attend. Further, residing within the catchment area does not guarantee your child’s admission, as there may be a waitlist