Welcome to Dyess AFB Housing

Dyess Family HousingThe Military Housing Office (MHO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you. When you arrive at Dyess AFB, you must visit the MHO to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.


HEAT Logo Link




Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service Member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. HQ Air Force Housing has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. Learn more at the HOMES.mil site.

Contact Information

   Military Housing Office

Phone (325) 696-2150
DSN 461-2150
Fax No Fax number
Address 710 Third Street, Bldg. 8006
Dyess AFB,TX 79607
Hours of Operation M - F  - 7:30am - 4:30pm

   Privatized Housing

Quail Hollow
Phone (325) 313-0200
Fax No Fax number
Address 5802 Kala Drive
Abilene, TX 79606
Hours of
M - F - 8:00am - 5:00pm
Find Us on Facebook
Find us on Facebook

   Privatized Housing

Dyess Family Homes (BBC)
Phone (325) 701-9276
Email: dyessleasing@bbcgrp.com
Address 32 Louisiana Road
Dyess AFB, TX 79607
Hours of
MON, TUE, THU, FRI  - 8:00am - 5:00pm
WED - 8:00am - 7:00pm

Facebook - Dyess Family Homes

   Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (325) 696-4403
DSN 461-4403
(325) 696-4996
DSN 461-4996
Fax No Fax number
Address 434 4th Ave
Dyess AFB, TX 79607
Hours of
M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm


external links Disclaimer

The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external Web Site, or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Services/Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the Unites States Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the purpose of the Web site.

Housing options

  • Privatized Housing

    Privatized Housing
    At Dyess AFB, family housing is privatized. We currently have two private owners. The two partners are: Hunt Military Communities; (Apartment and Townhouses off-base), and Balfour Beatty Communities; (duplex's and single homes on-base). Each project owner is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Hunt Military Communities/ Quail Hollow (QH) or Balfour Beatty Communities (BBC).

    For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Dyess AFB, you may visit each properties site at: Quail Hollowwww.dyessfamilyhousing.com, and BBC www.dyessfamilyhomes.com each website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in each privatized housing community.

    Applying for Privatized Housing
    Contact the Military Housing Office (MHO) as soon as you know you are moving to Dyess AFB, and they will provide you the appropriate information, and forms required to complete the eligible referral process for privatized housing.

    Community Amenities
    Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

    Community features such as playgrounds, basketball courts, dog parks, pools, etc., are just a few of the amenities you will find with our privatized partners.

    As a resident of privatized housing, contact the appropriate Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available.

    Paying Rent for Privatized Housing
    Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. Rent is paid in arrears, helping to eliminate upfront costs; however, the Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

    Gas and Electric Utilities
    Currently QH is metered and you will be billed directly for gas and electric. Since the homes are metered and you choose your provider, you will retain a portion of your BAH to pay for utilities directly. The utility allowance is determined based on 100 percent of the estimated average utility cost (gas and electric) for each unit type. The more energy you conserve, the more money you keep in your pocket; but if you do not conserve you may have to pay out of pocket.

    BBC recently completed installing meters for each home, but has not completed the process of finding the average cost for utilities. Once that process is complete and an average established, you will still forfeit your entire BAH, but if you conserve energy you will get a credit to your account and if you use more energy than average, you will be charged for the extra. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office where you reside.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to contact each property to inquire about rental property insurance. It is highly encouraged that you obtain rental insurance on your personal property in case of damage or theft.

    School Information
    All students who live in privatized housing in grades K-5 will go to Dyess Elementary (BBC/QH) or Bassetti Elementary (QH). The middle school is Clack, grades 6-8, and High School will be Cooper, grades 9-12. All schools are in the Abilene Independent School District (AISD). Bus services are provided by AISD for all students who are eligible students at both privatized locations.

  • Unaccompanied Housing

    At Dyess AFB we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

    UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

    Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

    The permanent party UH campus at Dyess AFB consists of two campuses comprised of 11 buildings for a total of 744 unaccompanied housing rooms. There are four buildings configured as 1 + 1 rooms with shared bathroom and kitchen. There are four buildings configured as 2 + 2 rooms with shared bathroom but no kitchen. There are three buildings with private bedrooms and no kitchens. The buildings have between 64 to 74 individual rooms.
    Amenities include laundry rooms, day rooms, pool tables, large screen flat panel televisions. There are cameras in the common area for your safety.
    Restrictions at Dyess AFB include no pets, no smoking and no co-habitation in the unaccompanied housing. A complete list of restrictions is listed in the Unaccompanied Handbook which will be given to you upon moving into the dorms.

    Base Specific Policy
    During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

    UH Management Office Staff
    The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

    Assignment Procedures
    As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

    Unit Integrity
    In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

    Planning Your Move
    Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

    If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

    If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

    If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

    Resident Responsibilities
    You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

    Inspection Program
    The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

    Bay Orderly Program
    UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

    Dormitory Councils
    The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.

    It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

    Space Available Rooms
    When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

  • community Housing

    Housing in the Local Community
    The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

    Housing Services
    Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

    Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

    The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

    Community Housing Units
    The housing situation around Dyess AFB is very good. There are plenty of apartment complexes as well as duplexes and single family homes that can be rented for a decent price within member's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). There are no areas in the Dyess area that are off limits to military personnel.

    For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

    Personal Property Insurance
    You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

    School Information
    For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

    The Abilene Independent School District has many good schools from kindergarten through 12th grade. Also nearby in the surrounding communities is the Wylie School District and the Jim Ned School District.