Edwards AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Edwards AFB, family housing is privatized. Mayroad owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Mayroad Military Living. Housing inventory consists of 741 homes; 581 for enlisted members and 160 for officers.

For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Edwards AFB, visit the Mayroad website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Mayroad

Contact Mayroad as soon as you know you are moving to Edwards AFB. The Mayroad team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

Community features such as walking paths, playgrounds, parks, picnic areas, basketball, volley ball and tennis courts, covered pavilions with BBG grills, lawn maintenance and various resident activities are just some of the amenities you will find at Edwards AFB.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to Mayroad. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to Mayroad. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

Gas and Electric Utilities

At this location, homes in the base housing community are individually metered. The utilities are managed by ConService who collects the utility usage, calculates the average consumption of occupied “like homes” on the installation and provides direct billing to the residents.

The average monthly baseline is covered by the utility component of your BAH and included in your rent. If your monthly utilization exceeds the average you will be billed; however, if your utilization is less than the average you will receive a rebate. The more energy you conserve the more money you keep in your pocket. Water, trash, and sewer are included in your rent at no extra charge. For additional information about utilities, contact Mayroad at 661 385-6060.

Personal Property Insurance

You should obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

California law requires that the building owner carry insurance on the dwelling that is being rented; this doesn't cover any of your belongings inside the home. Renters insurance, also known as tenant's insurance, provides protection for items in your home as well as liability protection in the event that someone is injured at your home. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult Mayroad for more information about coverage.

School Information

For kindergarten through 6th grade, students attend Irving L Branch Elementary School on base; for 7th through 12th grade, students will attend Desert Junior Senior High School. Both schools are public schools located on Edwards AFB and fall under the Muroc Joint Unified School District. Edwards AFB has a School Liaison Officer who is the central point of contact for school related matters working directly with base leadership, families, school districts, and local communities and can be contacted at (661) 277-3210.

Unaccompanied Housing

At Edwards AFB, we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings and new bed linen, required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location) Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service may move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

The permanent party UH campus at Edwards Air Force Base consists of 12 dormitory buildings that are configured one of three ways. Two the dormitories are configured with the new AF standard; the "Dorms-4-Airmen" configuration, which consist of a private bath and a shared living/kitchen area. Nine of the dormitories are designed as the AF 1+1 configuration (eight of these dormitories follow a 1+1 with kitchenette format and the other one follow a 1+1 format with a shared bathroom and no kitchen).

Dorm amenities include day rooms with large-screen televisions and game opportunities in all dormitories. The Higher Grounds Café offers a comfortable area to relax and socialize with wireless internet service, computer games, and beverage/snack services. The dorm campus includes volleyball, basketball, and roller hockey courts. Area also provides horse shoe pits and outdoor gas barbecue grills for resident use throughout the area.

The campus is near the community center, movie theater, base gym, and indoor swimming pool. Restrictions at Edwards include no smoking in dormitory rooms and campus, no pets except fish and seed-eating birds, and no weapons authorized.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, a Consolidated Dormitory Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies.

Consolidated Dormitory Management Office Staff

The Consolidated Dormitory Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. Staffs vary but are generally comprised of civilian employees and a military Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). The ADL will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the Consolidated Dormitory Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the Consolidated Dormitory Management Office.

An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies. If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the Consolidated Dormitory Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the Consolidated Dormitory Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and neat. Limited cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you. You will be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your Consolidated Dormitory Management Office representative if you have any questions about your responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships.

Ask your ADL or Consolidated Dormitory Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others.

The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

Community Housing Units

Communities surrounding Edwards AFB range from 17-45 or more miles from the center of the installation. They vary widely with respect to amenities and services. For current rental prices, please contact the MHO referral office.

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the MHO for more information about coverage.

School Information

For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live.

State-operated schools are located on base for kindergarten through grade 12.

Military Housing Office

Phone 661-277-4506
DSN 527-4506
Fax 661-277-0453
DSN 527-0453
Email 412TW.CE.Housing.Questions@us.af.mil
Address 412 CEG/CEIHH
1365 Fitz-Gerald Blvd, Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Hours M-F 7:30am - 4:00pm (PST)

Privatized Housing: Mayroad

Phone 661-385-6060
Fax 661-385-6099
Email Edwards.leasing@themayroad.com
Address 1365 Fitz-Gerald Blvd,
Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Hours M-F 7:30am - 4:00pm (PST)

Consolidated Dormitory Management Office

Phone 661-277-6783
DSN 527-6783
Fax 661-277-0540
DSN 527-0540
Address 412 CEG/CEIHD
Bldg 2423, Rm 104,
210 Spiro Ave.
Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Hours M-F 7:00am - 4:00pm (PST)