Peterson SFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Peterson AFB, military family housing is privatized. Tierra Vista Communities owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Tierra Vista Communities.

For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Peterson AFB, visit the Tierra Vista Communities website. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Privatized Housing

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving to Peterson AFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. The MHO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services.

The family housing at Tierra Vista Communities will feature state-of-the-art design and technology, incorporating the most modern and efficient construction techniques and processes, with environmental sustainability integrated into every aspect of design. New homes will include spacious kitchens with islands and ENERGY STAR appliances, home office space with technology niches, as well as covered porches and patios for integrating indoor/outdoor living. Once completed, these high-quality, modern and inviting homes will serve as a recruiting and retention tool, attracting and retaining talented individuals to the Air Force.

Community features such as pedestrian-friendly streets, new, spacious Community Centers, hiking and biking trails are just some of the amenities you will find at Tierra Vista Communities.

As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions.

Gas and Electric Utilities

At this location, homes in the community are not metered and your rent will include these utility costs, up to your full BAH amount. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the Property Management Office for more information about coverage.

School Information

For local school information, please contact the Peterson AFB Student Liaison Officer at commercial (719) 556-6141 (DSN 834-6141) or visit the Force Support Squadron website.

Unaccompanied Housing

At Peterson AFB we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location)

Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

The permanent party UH campus at Peterson AFB consists of four buildings and 404 rooms.


Amenities include dayrooms with flat screen TVs, cable, pool tables, gas grills, pavilions, bike storage, storage cages, outdoor basketball and volleyball courts and shared kitchens between two residents. The Base Chapel operates an internet café in one of the building which serves free specialty coffee to residents and free Wi Fi which the new residents appreciate.

Wireless internet access is available in all of the day rooms. The gym, library, education center and dining facility are within a short walking distance from the four dormitories. Two dorms have full kitchens in the day rooms to include a full sized oven and refrigerators.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies. Smoking policy, pet restrictions, etc. are specified in the UH Residents Brochure.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Staffs vary but can be comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and some bases have civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation.

If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office. An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies.

If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office or acquire a hospitality room for you until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager.

If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office the next duty day for in-processing.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment can be provided to you free of charge. You will also be accountable for your room and the furnishings provided. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal fair wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen are released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Contact the UH Management Office to inquire about availability.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Military Housing Office (MHO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The MHO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the MHO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live.

Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others. See Referral and Relocation Assistance for more information.

The MHO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The MHO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

Community Housing Units

There are a few things you need to be aware of before signing any lease agreement for a rental property. First, contact the MHO to request a copy of the latest Off-Limits Areas and Establishments list. This list informs all Service Members of areas and establishments that are declared off limits in Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas. Secondly, make sure that any rental contract includes a Military Clause. This clause is necessary to provide members the ability to get out of an existing lease agreement without penalty if deployed or reassigned out of the local area.

The following monthly rental rates are average rental costs for unfurnished properties in Colorado Springs. The rates do not include utility expenses and are for reference only. Specific rates will vary based on specific location and home layout.

Home Apartment Townhouse Single Family
2 Bedroom $875 $900 N/A
3 Bedroom $1050 $1150 $1200
4 Bedroom N/A N/A $1500
5 Bedroom N/A N/A $1650

Colorado Springs is a great place to live and work. The 21 Force Support Squadron (21 FSS) has many activities and events to make your tour more enjoyable. Please visit their website for information and a calendar of future events:

For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, contact 21 CES/CEACP, via email, by phone Commercial: (719) 556-4777/4332; DSN 834-4777/4332, or fax (719) 556-8309; DSN 834-8309.

School Information

For local school information, please contact the Peterson AFB Student Liaison Officer at commercial (719) 556-6141 or DSN 834-6141 or visit the Force Support Squadron website.

Military Housing Office

Phone (719) 556-4777
DSN 834-4777
(719) 556-4332
DSN 834-4332
Fax (719) 556-8309
DSN 834-8309
Address 21CES/CEIH
650 McChord Street
Bldg 1098
Peterson AFB, CO 80914
Hours M-F - 8:00am - 5:00pm (MST)

Privatized Housing

Phone (719) 597-7200
Email (719) 380-8956
Address Tierra Vista Communities LLC
650 McChord Street
Bldg 1098
Colorado Springs, CO 80914
Hours M,T,Th,F - 8:00am - 5:00pm
W - 8:00am - 6:00pm (MST)
Website Tierra Vista

Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (719) 556-1409
DSN 834-1409
DSN 834-3832
Address 325 West Ent
Peterson AFB, CO 80914
Hours M,W,F - 9:00am - 4:00pm
T, Th - 7:00am - 4:00pm (MST)