Tinker AFB

A photo provided by Air Force Academy housing showing a sample offering
back to home

Privatized Housing

At Tinker AFB, military family housing is privatized. Balfour Beatty Communities owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Balfour Beatty Communities. Ensure you schedule a pre-inspection walk through of your new home or apartment prior to signing any lease on or off base. For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Tinker AFB, visit www.tinkerafbhomes.com The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

Applying for Privatized Housing

Contact the Housing Referral Office as soon as you know you are moving to Tinker AFB. The government housing team will provide you the latest information about privatized housing and details about the application process. Please make sure you send a copy of your Orders to TAFB / Oklahoma, current LES showing BAH, 4422 Sex Offender Form and an Application 1746. The HRO will also update you on any base specific policies regarding residing in privatized housing.

Community Amenities

Privatized housing is comparable to housing in the local community and provides a wide variety of amenities and support services. At Tinker AFB, Balfour Beatty Communities has a variety of recreational amenities and opportunities to enjoy. You will find these amenities located throughout the community in areas from open space for team activities to shaded spaces for playgrounds and picnic areas. Community features such as eleven playgrounds, four basketball courts, two tennis courts and five green spaces, along with a community center are just some of the amenities you will find at Balfour Beatty Communities. As a resident of privatized housing, contact the Property Management Office to obtain more specific information on the services available at your location.

Paying Rent for Privatized Housing

Similar to living in the local community, you will sign a tenant lease agreement, typically for a one-year term. Your lease includes a military clause and a lease termination clause. You pay your monthly rent by authorizing an allotment of your BAH that is paid directly to the Property Manager. If your move occurs prior to the allotment start date, then you will need to pay the pro-rated rent directly to the Property Manager. The Tenant Lease Agreement spells out all relevant rent payment terms and conditions. Refer to the Balfour Beatty Communities website at www.tinkerafbhomes.com for additional information.

Gas and Electric Utilities

At Tinker AFB, each home is metered. At present, utility costs are included with your full BAH amount. In the near future, an allocated amount will be provided for your utilities. Energy conservation will be paramount on the resident. For more information about your utilities, please contact the Property Management Office at 405-610-3637.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle.

School Information

Tinker AFB is located in the Mid-Del School District. The Balfour Beatty website lists school information on www.tinkerafbhomes.com.

Unaccompanied Housing

At Tinker AFB we strive to create an inclusive environment that cultivates the development and training of Airmen. The Air Force recognizes that the management of Unaccompanied Housing (UH) facilities is critical to an Airman's development process. UH is a personal residence and we strive to provide a modern, functional, well maintained and comfortable home, as well as promote pride, professionalism and personal dignity.

UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. (Room arrangements may vary depending on location) Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above will move into housing in the local community. Please refer to the Housing in the Local Community section for information and assistance on securing housing.

The permanent party UH campus at Tinker AFB consists of nine buildings containing 944 rooms. All rooms are single occupancy with the exception of Hospitality and 72-Hour Rooms. Hospitality rooms are reserved for unannounced/unsponsored residents. The 72-Hour rooms will be assigned to members upon request of Tinker First Sergeants. These rooms can be checked out at the Indian Hills Lodge, located beside the Tinker Club on Arnold Street after duty hours. They can be contacted at (405) 734-5095 or DSN 884-5095.


Amenities include a campus Latte Lounge operated by the Tinker Chapel and manned by volunteers. The lounge provides free lattes, ice cream, games and snacks and is located in Building 5913. Hours of operation are Friday 1800-2200, Saturday 1400-2200 and Sunday 1600-2000. Vanwey Recreation Center offers an extensive collection of games, computers and wireless internet service for unaccompanied residents. The recreation center is located in the Vanwey Dining Facility. Hours of operation are Monday-Thursday 1600-2300. The UH campus includes volley ball, tennis, and basketball courts as well as a running trail with work out stations. Each dormitory has dayrooms which are equipped with televisions, cable TV and games.

Base Specific Policy

During your orientation, the ADL or UH Management Office representative will inform you of all Air Force and base-specific policies regarding smoking, pets, furnishings, storage, etc.

UH Management Office Staff

The UH Management Office is staffed with professionals that can assist with all of your housing needs. Our Staff is comprised of non-commissioned officers (NCO), Senior NCOs and civilian employees. The assigned military are Airman Dormitory Leaders (ADL). These members are highly motivated personnel dedicated to ensuring that residents receive quality service. ADLs will provide you guidance and advice on UH life as well as mentor you on succeeding in the Air Force.

Assignment Procedures

As soon as you are notified of your assignment, contact your gaining unit and request to be assigned a sponsor. Your sponsor will be another military member assigned to your unit and will assist with your move. The sponsor or gaining unit must then contact the UH Management Office to notify them of your impending arrival date and work to secure you a dormitory room.

Unit Integrity

In most cases, you will be assigned a room in an area of the dormitory set aside for the personnel who work in your unit. This is to promote camaraderie among squadron members. If a room is not available near other members of your unit, you may be assigned a temporary room until one with your unit becomes available.

Planning Your Move

Prior to travel, arrange to meet your sponsor or someone from your unit upon arrival at the gaining installation. If you arrive on a business day during normal duty hours, have your sponsor escort you to the UH Management Office (Building 5927). An ADL or a civilian Dorm Manager will take you through the process of checking you into your room and performing a move-in inspection and inventory of the allotted furnishings and supplies. If you arrive on the weekend or after normal duty hours, have your sponsor make arrangements to pick up your room key from the UH Management Office in advance or acquire a hospitality room from the Indian Hills Lodge until you can meet with an ADL or Dorm Manager. Indian Hills Lodge can be contacted at (405) 734-5095 or DSN 884-5095. If you obtain your room key outside of normal duty hours, it is still a mandatory requirement to report to the UH Management Office with your sponsor with a copy of your orders the next duty day for in-processing.

Resident Responsibilities

You will be expected to keep your room and any shared living space clean and tidy. Cleaning supplies and equipment will be available, free of charge. You will be held accountable for your room and the furnishings provided to you. Residents may be held liable for any damages beyond normal wear and tear. See your ADL or UH Management Office representative if you have any questions about your resident responsibilities.

Inspection Program

The Installation Commander establishes a base-wide UH inspection program focused on health and safety. Squadron Commanders and unit First Sergeants implement the inspection program and visit rooms to ensure that all residents from their squadron comply with installation standards.

Bay Orderly Program

UH residents are expected to assist in the cleaning and upkeep of common areas and shared facilities of their "home." You will periodically be detailed to perform essential cleaning and minor maintenance around the UH campus.

Dormitory Councils

The Airmen Dormitory Council is the forum by which residents of an individual dormitory or group of dormitories address concerns about their living environment with a panel of their peers. The purpose of the council is to establish standards for all residents, present solutions for problem areas, establish positive recreational activities and identify facility and furnishing improvements. Participation at your location is a chance to be involved in shaping your living environment and provides an opportunity for personal growth and development in the areas of leadership and personal relationships. Ask your ADL or UH Management Office representative about how you can get involved.


It is mandatory for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3 and E-4 with less than 3 years of service to reside in UH. An E-4 residing in UH reaching 3 years of service may be authorized to move out of UH and into local community housing. Contact the UH Management Office for procedures you must follow to clear your room. In certain circumstances, such as to make space available for more junior Airmen, you may be authorized to move out of UH before reaching E-4 with greater than 3 years of service. The most senior Airmen in your building will be released first. Your ADL or UH Management Office representative will advise residents when early release is necessary.

Space Available Rooms

When there is an excess of dormitory rooms, personnel in the ranks of E-4 with greater than 3 years of service and above may be eligible to reside in UH on a space available basis. Exceptions to policy may also be granted due to Impending marriage, pregnancy, and hardship. Please contact the UH Management Office or your First Sergeant to inquire about the process for obtain.

Community Housing

Housing in the Local Community

The Housing Referral Office (HRO) provides all DoD personnel with personalized services to assist in locating suitable housing in the local community. Although moving is sometimes stressful, it can also be an exciting opportunity to live off base and experience a new location. The HRO will assist you every step of the way to help you find your new home in the local community.

Housing Services

Contact the HRO as soon as you know you are moving. The government housing team will provide you the latest information on the local housing situation and offer complete referral services and relocation assistance to make sure you find a quality place to live. Support services range from helping members understand their lease agreements and the necessity for a military release clause to assisting in resident and landlord dispute resolution, among many others. The HRO partners with landlords, realtors and property managers to make sure you receive the most current information about the local housing market. The HRO also monitors housing units offered for rent to the military community.

Community Housing Units

Most homes in the surrounding Oklahoma City/Midwest City area are ranch style homes. Our communities offer a wide variety of housing options. The typical unit is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, brick home ranging from 1,100 - 1,700 sq feet of living space. Average rents for this size home range from $800-$1,500 per month For information about the housing allowances that financially support your move, see Referral and Relocation Assistance.

Personal Property Insurance

You need to obtain legal liability and personal property insurance for your possessions and should choose the options and amounts that best fit your needs and lifestyle. Before purchasing your insurance, please consult the HRO for more information about coverage. School Information For families, we understand that where your children attend school plays a large factor in the decision of where to live. The Oklahoma Educational Indicators Program has an award winning track record of providing high quality reports on school performance at the State, District, and School level. The Office of Accountability's charge is to provide school performance information that is comparable and in context. For more information visit http://www.schoolreportcard.org/

Military Housing Office

Phone (405) 734-7350
DSN 884-7350
Fax (405) 734-4461
Email hro.tinker@us.af.mil%20
Address 5601 Twining Drive
Tinker AFB, OK 73145
Hours M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm (CST)

Privatized Housing

Phone (866) 933-6055
Fax (405) 610-6145
Address 5601 Twining Drive Tinker AFB, OK 73145
Hours M,T,Th,F - 8:00am - 5:00pm
W - 8:00am - 7:00pm (CST)
Website Tinker Homes

Unaccompanied Housing

Phone (405) 734-4421
DSN 884-4421
Email 72ABW.CEAC.UH@tinker.af.mil
Address 5913 McNarney Ave,
Tinker AFB, OK 73145
Hours M-F - 7:30am - 4:30pm (CST)

Housing Management Office

Phone 405-734-2719
Email andrew.furman.2@us.af.mil